Printing a Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by twhite, Oct 12, 2015.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes you are correct. It is Nylon. I will have to give that a go. Need to think what color to do.

Munichjoe and Dzia Dzia like this.
  2. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Tom, I'm going to send you a PM sometime this weekend. I have a close friend do does acrylic sculptures. More info in the PM. Watch for it, please.

twhite likes this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Standing by

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    What some people (at least one, anyways) do is print the brush handle, then use that handle as a form for a mold. Once they have the mold, it's an easy process to make duplicates in resin.

That's what @ShaneS did for his Blackbird brush handle.

Munichjoe, Dzia Dzia and twhite like this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Can I get a Simpsons Tulip in Butterscotch :D

6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Maybe I should do that! Start selling brushes in Sweden haha

7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

They look GREAT! I don't think it's s boring color, at least not in the pictures

twhite and Dzia Dzia like this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

How's the bowl working out?

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will try it out tomorrow. I want to get a 2 day growth for my OC shave. I will post how it makes lather. I will try my AOS Pure Badger brush with it .

wmbjr and battle.munky like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool Tom.

11. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

uploadfromtaptalk1445133411057.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1445133415607.jpg [​IMG] just tried out one of my own earlier to see how it would work out. I have a 20mm badger knot in there that I picked how from a wood shop. First brush I've ever put together before.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    theFAT98, battle.munky, wmbjr and 3 others like this.
  12. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Good job. I love the look of that handle.

mylesc1234 likes this.
  13. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

The brushes and bowls look great. Kinda like the fact they are white allowing you to paint it as you choose!

Dzia Dzia, mylesc1234 and twhite like this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    Close up of texture on bowl.
    [​IMG]
    I just finished my first shave with my new bowl. I used all of the above equipment. The bowl seemed to lather much faster than the Old Spice mug I have been using. The raised details on the bottom and kind of rough texture on the entire surface of the bowl may contribute to inducing more air into the mixture. Was able to build a lather in 45 to 60 seconds. It was a bit too dry. Was able to get 3 full passes and had enough for a fourth if needed.
    I will continue using the bowl as is for a while just to see how it progresses. At a later time I will consider painting it.
    As for the Brushes I will be ordering a couple of Whipped Dog synthetic's for it Monday.

Tom

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    wmbjr and Dzia Dzia like this.
  15. Razor3dp

Razor3dp New Member

I like that bowl design. Those ridges will really help with lathering.

wmbjr, Dzia Dzia and twhite like this.
  16. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Definitely doable. I'm having a harder time getting quality casts than I anticipated, though.

Anyway, cool thread and best of luck! Have fun sanding(and sanding and sanding and sanding).

wmbjr, Dzia Dzia and twhite like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Finally got my knot today. So here it is all mounted up with a Whipped Dog Synthetic.
    [​IMG]

theFAT98, AGHisBBS and wmbjr like this.
  18. Herk

Herk Member

This turned out great! So many possibilities with 3D printing.

wmbjr and twhite like this.
  19. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Love the bowl! The texture and rushes should be great for lathering. Let me know when you start production! ;)

twhite likes this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I have 3 shaves under my belt with this brush. I love the way this WD synthetic knot makes lather. It is a bit softer than I like come to find out. I really like the feeling of the bristles massaging my face. This is NOT a complaint just an observation. I really like how my handle is performing. The smaller neck area is very comfortable on my finger tips with the ball end resting on my palm. As for painting this I believe I am going to leave it as is. The texture is nice. It gives a great grip no slipping at all even when my hand is wet.
    I am going to get a Boar knot for my other handle I had printed.
    Over all very pleased with both my brush and bowl. They make great lather together.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015