Products everyone should try

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by newb, Oct 5, 2012.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

After a few years of traditional shaving, I've found a few products IMHO that all shavers should try. They truly stand out, and IMHO are the best of the best. Some aren't popular but they have outstanding qualities.

Soap:
    *ARKO shave stick, the lather is unbelievable. Smells not too good but the performance is exceptional.

*TSD Lanolin, the scents are amazing and it is one of the slickest lathers I've ever used. It's not as creamy as some, but it lathers easy. I like it better than MWF. It really is the best soap offered on TSD, it has all the qualities that the TSD glycerin shave soap lacks.

Cella, this may be the best shave soap ever. It is slick and creamy, it alone produces what I look for in UBER-LATHER. Is there really a better shave soap than Cella. If so let me know, because I want it.

Creams:
    TSD Wheat. By far the best cream I've ever used. If you haven't tried it your are missing out. Compare it to creams that cost 3-4xs as much. And then you will realize the true value.

Tet-a-tet, If you can get it , buy it. Creamy rich lather. When you use it, it will make you smile.

Florena, See above, great cream

Blades:
    This is a true YMMV.

Brushes:
    Frank's shaving. Franks brushes offer superior value especially in Finest badger. The higher end (more expensive) Franks in Silvertip compare well to brushes that cost hundreds more.

Vie Long , in natural brown are the best horsehair available if you like a little scritch.

Omege and Semogue offer exceptional brushes in boar. My favorite Omega is the mighty midget. Semogue take a while to break in.

Synth: Franks basic synthetic or HIS Synth has shown how far synthetics has come. Really they are offering synthetics that compare to expensive badgers at 1/10th the cost. Well worth the purchase.

D/E Razors:
    Totally a YMMV subject. My favorites are a Merkur Futur, Merkur Vision, Gillette Super adjustable long handle, Gillette ball end tech and Lord L6.

S/E Razors:
    YMMV, but most are awesome. Gem OC Micromatic if you like aggressiveness. Gem G- bar if you like mild... And a Gem Clog-Pruff if you want something in the middle.

Cartridge razor:
    Pro-Glide, the best of the best.

Shick quattro. It's the best kept secret out there. It is the razor I go to when I want BBS. It is what I use on my noggin when I want BBS. It shaves almost as well as the Por-Glide , but blades cost about 1.20 each when bought in bulk on the bay,

What awesome products am I missing here ? What stellar products have you guys found, that every shaver should try ?

macaronus likes this.
  2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Palmolive shave sticks and creams. Serious work horses and very reasonably priced for their outstanding performance.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm not sure I even want to touch this subject. Nope, I won't. If people want to know what products I think are outstanding, they can hang around threads I post in (except this one). I really can't think of any products I think that "everyone" should try. Well maybe one product. This product is amazing stuff, absolutely wonderful, works everytime....

Scrubbing Bubbles.:scared007:

burpsan and macaronus like this.
  4. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Scrubbing Bubbles... in place of Alum, perhaps?!? Ryan, you are always cutting edge!

I would have to vote for Mikes Natural shaving soap - it repairs the problems I create from experimenting with other, lesser products.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I can only think of one I'd consider universal - Kiss My Face unscented. In most cases if only to rescue that lather gone bad that happens to everyone at some point.

6. newb

newb Resident Newb

Please ignore my above post as I had a night out with the boys and I was a little tanked. Note to self, don't post on forums after an evening of drinking............... Sorry boys for the BS post... Was my spelling ok?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. newb

newb Resident Newb

Got to say, I like palmolive stick, BUT Cella kicks Palmolive's ass... There was a little truth to my drunken post....Cella is a true uber-Lather....

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Cella is a nice soap but, I don't think it's all that. YMMV

newb likes this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't much care for either... ;)

10. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

totally agree, wonderfull products, although lately I prefer Tabbac

newb likes this.