Progress setting question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spud, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Hey Gang.
    I used my Merkur Progress for the second time. I had the notches properly aligned this time.
    When wound tight, it sits on # 5, so it's only a slight twist to #1; makes sense. What I notice though is the razor is far, far too mild to be useful. Very mild. I had to pass by all the #s and do a complete 360. The next time around, I was getting somewhere. After that I noticed the knob can make it all the way around again before it disengages. Anyone else find the first twists of the knob too mild? Thanks.
    Jeremy

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Not I. From tight to 3.5-4.5 I get a great shave. Never have I gone around past 360˚

Spud likes this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Me either, 3.5/4 great shave city.

Spud likes this.
  4. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Interesting. Perhaps my technique needs work.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It would help if you tell us how fine or coarse your whiskers are.

Spud likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Article Team
    I am beginning to think that you didn't get your razor reassembled correctly. Just a thought.

7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Not coarse at all, just semi fine.

Sara-s likes this.
  8. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Well, all I really did was put some tension on the ring and slide it back in, though it took a few attempts, as the ring was hard to constrict. I'm thinking after using an ATT for so long, maybe I'm just not used to it. I will just keep using it and trying different settings for a while. Thanks

9. Primotenore

Article Team
    I misunderstood. You posted that the ring "was not necessary", which led me to believe that you did not replace it when reassembling.

10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Okay, I stand corrected. I shaved today WTG and XTG on # 5 and ATG on #4; had a fantastic shave. The ability to alter aggresiveness for different techniques and areas is great. And the cream coloured knob has grown on me.
    Whatever happened the first time; I don't know but all is good now.

Robyflexx, Sara-s and Primotenore like this.
  11. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Are you sure you put the cup the right side on?

12. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

Glad you're enjoying your Progress -- it's a great razor, but slightly dorky looking IMO. The Gillette adjustables seem better made, and will probably still be functional long after my Merkur is history. Still, I think the Progress shaves every bit as good, and I'm glad that such superb razors are still being made!

Now, if some clever bloke ever produces an all-stainless steel version of a precision, adjustable, one-piece razor, I will take out a loan (if necessary) to buy one. Until then, I hope they keep making the Merkur Progress.