Proof vs Myth

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gssixgun, Oct 1, 2019.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There are many Stories and Myths that persist in our hobby
    They are repeated so often people tend to forget there is actually no proof of any of these stories

Some that still get me

The words "Barber's Notch" this has never been found anywhere other than online, the old advertising call it a "Hollow Point" or a "Notch Point"

Or as I say "Prove It"

From that, we get the stories that come from the name

The various reasons for the Notch

One-Armed Civil War vets - Really ???
    So that a Barber can open them with one hand ??
    To shave around a Mole ??
    To shave Nose Hair, Wow ???

And you read this Where ???

Another is the #14 story that says all #14 blanks were made by one single company in Solingen Germany,

Great story but there is no proof as of today, not one shred of literature from that era

What do I mean by that ???

This is what I mean,

Many people have said that the old Sta-Sharp and Craftsman blades were actually made by Koeller

This is what I mean by "Prove It"

[​IMG]

Let the discussion Flow :p

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

But Mama said it's true!!!

[​IMG]

Jim99, Briscoe, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

So all this time I’ve been believing that it was called a Barber’s Notch because that’s what they called it way back when. Instead, the term came out in the internet age! Sheesh!

The theory of barber notch being invented for shaving nose hair gives me the creeps. Yikes!

gssixgun, Briscoe and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I use "barber's notch" as a means of communication and not a definitive explanation for why one exists. I like them, especially with a shoulder-less grind. I have two or three I think that where imported by John Holler.

Briscoe and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I can see how the notch had a purpose in shaving someone else’s face. It must have had a purpose other than decoration as they are found on common razors.

6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

It's flowing...

gssixgun likes this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Here is a good one

Dubl Ducks and Pumas were at one time made by Dovo

We know this to be true as there are razors out there with the double stamps and Etchings across company lines, we don't know the full extent of it or how it changed over the years but we have proof that it did occur

There are also some very rare French made DD's

Another interesting one

Spanish Point - That is also a newer name if you look at the older catalogs you will find the original name as a "Dreadnaught Point"

So much that has been repeated so often and posted online that people not only accept but actually will argue about is either unproved or plain fabricated and can be disproved

brit, Edison Carter, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Dreadnought point! That’s an appropriate description and a logical one. All this time I was thinking that style of razor came from Spain. Go figure!

Edison Carter and gssixgun like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

“If a lie is only printed often enough, it becomes a quasi-truth, and if such a truth is repeated often enough, it becomes an article of belief, a dogma, and men will die for it” ("The Crown of Life" Isa Blagden, 1869, p. 155).

:eatdrink013:

brit, Edison Carter and gssixgun like this.