Proraso shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaveO, Mar 16, 2015.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I've been using a Prosaro shave soap for the last year and am getting down to the bottom third of the bowl. I've noticed that it is lathering up less and less as I get down farther. Maybe I made a mistake by flipping it over so that I am using the bottom of the bar now. Is this normal. It is one with Eucalyptus and I think menthol.
    Is there a better lathering soap available?

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that before, but I would guess that water from the last year of use has possibly cut the soap a bit down at the bottom. Otherwise, your soap should have the same consistency and latherability from top to bottom.

3. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I'll try flipping it back right side up to see if it makes any difference. Any better soap recommendations?

4. Mr. Shaverman

There are plenty of soaps out there to try. I usually recommend Proraso.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

6. Hudson

Hudson Member

My stirling soap seems to explode with lather for me... and the variety of scents is truly astounding. And its a great value.

David Green likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

TSDS Caties Bubbles. Shaver Heaven. Stirling. MdC. PAA. The list is endless! There has never been a better time to be a wet shaver.

Oasisdave likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

TSD Lanolin - available in many scents

And

Arko!!!

Spyder likes this.
  9. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I just watched a youtube video on Stitling shave soap and I couldn't believe how thick and rich it lathers up. Only trouble is that other than at the Stirling website, I can't find anyplace to buy it. I looked at Amazon and here at the Shave Den Shop to no avail. Any suggestions where to get it. I'm thinking of the Lime scent as I use Lime aftershave a lot.

10. Mr. Shaverman

You can only get it at the Stirling site, I believe. Why not just order it there?

11. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I hate to sign up at all these additional sites and have to give all kinds of information. I guess I could use the site and just use my Amex card for protection.

12. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

If you don't want to sign up for the Stirling site you could try emailing or calling Rod. I know before the website updates I only ever ordered through him. I emailed him a list of what I wanted, he sent a PayPal invoice, I paid it, I got my stuff! With their growing business that might not be an option any more but maybe worth a try.

13. Mr. Shaverman

If you do Paypal they take that. No need to sign up for anything. Paypal will give all the necessary info.

14. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I just used my Pure Badger brush instead of my Silvertip with a lot less water ( almost none ) and got a better lather. It still wasn't like I remember when I first got the Proraso aoap. I had forgotten also how prickly the pure badger hair is compaired to the Silver tip brush.
    I ordered a cake of the Arko from Amazon just a little bit ago and also another cake of another brand.

15. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

The other soap cake that I ordered was a Tranquil Sandalwood All Natural hand made. It was rated 5 stars on Amazon. But, I don't know if the raters knew much about shaving soaps.

16. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I just got my Arko shave soap yesterday afternoon and used it this morning. It really lathers up well, unlike my old Proraso soap. Of course my Proraso may have dried out over the last year because I did not keep it tightly sealed. The Arko does not have the best smell however. More of a blah smell. Other than that it is really good.

17. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Mikes natural soaps, razorock, cella, tiki shave soap, shannons soaps, shave den soaps, the list goes on.

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

The soaps that have been around for a long time are always solid performers, such as Mitchell Wool Fat, TOBS, DR Harrs, etc.

19. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

Help!
    This Arko shave soap is making so much lather that it's taking over my house! I'm getting great lather from it, but they should work on the scent. It's kind of sterile or something.

SDK and Omelmad like this.
  20. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

It would be cool if they made it with an awesome sandalwood or cedarwood scent =) maybe Rose?

SDK likes this.