Proraso Single Blade- Azur Lime

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by KUSTOM, Feb 5, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Less than a year ago I was a semi-retired carpenter doing handyman projects to keep me entertained and the bills paid. Then my daughter and the three grandkids moved in. Glad to have them! She's now in a management position at a local retail store. I've become more of a "house husband" making sure the 8 year old twins get back & forth to school, riding herd on the 3 year old, cooking (which I enjoy), laundry, standard domestic servant stuff. So my pocket money is lessened, but my shave den is fairly well stocked. If I got the itch to go on a buying spree I could list some unused gear in the BST thread. I don't need any soap, injector, DE, or straight razors, or AS for years. Want? I check The Haul & Waiting to Arrive threads often and live vicariously through everyone here at TSD. If I ever find that table top wood lathe for the right price, I'll start turning out Cypress shave brush handles and bowls & open an Etsy shop!

2. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

West Coast Shaving does a Proraso sample pack with Red, Green, White and the 3 single blade creams. It's $13.98 so I figured why not put that $ towards the real thing rather than buying samples, 3 of which I already own.

3. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

brit, Yehuda D and Frijolero like this.
  4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

No, I have 30 tubes of other creams to hold me over. So I'd be better off being patient. They'll get here sooner or later.

brit, Yehuda D and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Agreed, patiently waiting delayed gratification. I'm just one step further from purchasing a frosting bag. I'll use creams but prefer hard pucks over croaps over creams. Proraso may never make this product in my format of choice.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

i saw the tube and the wood and spice preshave jar... hmmm..

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It's this ridiculously large container that has kept me from purchasing this product. Sorry it disagrees with you. Lime is a VERY difficult scent to duplicate.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Frijolero like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    After reading the various positive reviews of the single blade line, I decided to take a try on the "Wood & Spice."

I've only hand lathered so far, but it feels superior to the regular soaps. It is a thirsty shaving cream, and a little goes a long way.

My bag was ordered on Amazon, from Amazon. 9.5 oz. bag ended up weighing 8.4 oz, so I got shorted an ounce. Normally, that would piss me off.

...but, as one Amazon review described, the scent is very much "the cedar chest at grandma's house." It has a musty/dusty smelling blend of lavender and bergamot with a vague mix of amber and woods underneath, none of which are pronounced enough to stand on their own. The sharp, almost medicinal scent of eucalyptus cuts across all the scent notes as a jarring counterpoint.

It does work well as a scent sachet, though. When I opened the bathroom cabinet to double check my sniffer, a quite lovely, pervasive, spicy woody scent greeted me. Too bad the contents don't live up to the same promise.

I'm going to do a shave with it soon, and we will see if my opinions on the scent change. I know temperature (from being shipped) can have an impact on scent, so I'll give it a day or two in a cool place to let the ingredients settle first.

For me, right now, the scent is "meh." I can live with it, I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

brit, Edison Carter and BigD like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i gave my cypress vetiver set to my friend as it would turn into a brick with my rotation at present.still loving the wood and spice set.on my second bottle of cologne with one left in the wings.i bought 3 .while it isn't the most extravagantly made wood scent around it's great for winter use at work and other places and i have been complimented on it.the bag o cream is holding up well and still is one of their best products imo..

PLANofMAN and BigD like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I just cannot get past that revolting and overpowering eucalyptus scent in the shave cream. It's like someone decided to make an Osage rub shave cream. The wood and spice scent is nice, though subtle, post shave, and the performance is 10/10.

This is, without a doubt, the single worst smelling shave cream or soap I've ever used. I do not like the wood & spice scent combined with the eucalyptus scent. It doesn't play well.

If you don't mind, or if you even like eucalyptus, you'll probably like it. I DO like the performance, and if the Cyprus & Veviter does not have eucalyptus or menthol in it, I'll probably enjoy that one.

brit likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I saw Stinky Puzzle open for the Plasmatics in '81.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I went to a GWAR concert.