Pros and cons of a full hollow ground straight razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BIG SAM, Sep 26, 2017.

1. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

looking at a dovo 5/8 that's a full hollow ground.

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Dove 5/8th Full Hollows are Nice Shavers..They are Not as Thinly Ground as Some Vintage Full Hollows..So..Not All Full Hollows are Like for Like..The One Above is My Wester Bros 5/8th & its Almost as Thin as a Letter Opener..On that Note..For the Price of a Current Dovo I Would Personally Go for a Vintage SR Anyday...You will Get a Lovely NOS Mint Solingen or Sheffield 5/8th Full Hollow for a Similar Price or Cheaper..;)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  3. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

beautiful razor billy

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Pros: lighter-weight blade, blade 'sings' during shave, often easier to hone. Many like the feel of an ultra thin blade and edge.
    Cons: doesn't have the manly feel of a hefty heavy grind :D (some shavers do love wedge grinds); Silent whisker killers...

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

+1 to what Billy and Kevin said.

The audible feedback from a hollow ground seems to help me with my shave. You'll know when you're slicing off the whiskers and they are faster to hone compared to a wedge.

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Heljestrand23, DaltonGang and Jim99 like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a Dovo Bismark 2 and Dovo Masters that are hollow ground and excellent razors. As stated the big differences between a hollow grind and heavier grind is the noise and weight of the razor. I tried a 7/8 hollow grind razor but there was too much blade flex. If you have some tough stubble a hollow grind might flex but a 5/8 should not flex. Go for it, if you don't like you can sell it.

If it is a new Dovo you will need to get it honed, the factory hone is so-so. There are several vendors that sell new Dovos and will hone them for you.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm more fond of old Wedge Razors. More character, and they are silent "Whisker Whackers". If honed right, they don't even feel or sound like they are cutting anything.

Billyfergie likes this.