Protocol?

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Alan H, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Alan H

Alan H Member

I missed this particular forum and have already been posting in others. Sorry for the breach of protocol.
    Happy to have found The Shave Den, great place to hang out and chill, and great guys, too! As way of introduction, I started with a Norelco (I think) triple head electric. Never gave me a close shave and was horrible down around the bottom of my neck. Never really liked the smell of the dead hair that accumulated in the head, either. Yes, I know, all hair is dead. Then Gillette came around to my college campus and gave away their twin blade to all comers. Looking back, it was pure genius! Because they don't make much money on the handle, it's all about the consumables, as they say in the computer printer industry, where they make their big money, that is, the blades. Anyway, I thought it was great and soooo much better than my electric. And I was sold on their theory of the first blade pulling up the hair for the next one to cut it off. Then on to to the Sensor when it first came out and stuck with that for more years then I would like to admit. Stuck with it even after the advent of the 3 blade, 4 blade, 5 blade, not really sure what number they are up to now. But I'm sure they will keep pumping them out, especially after their patents expire, to keep ahead of the competition and, more importantly, to keep sucking us in. I did try my son's, I don't know what, but it has 5 blades. Oh, and the one that vibrates, what is that about? Anyway, his 5 blade felt like I was using a paddle so, once was enough. Although I grew up watching my father shave with a brush and DE. BTW, it wasn't called "wet shaving" back then, just shaving. He had some sort of Gillette TTO which I thought was kinda cool (wish he handed it down to me), have no clue as to the brush but, knowing him, it was some sort of cheapo from the drugstore. Soap to him was a bar of Ivory, only because that's all my Mom bought for all of us to use around the house. I would be surprised if he even knew there were real shaving soaps out there in the world. I have only been wet shaving for about 2 years, and only after reading about it online and figured that I had to see what I was missing. And missing was right! Started with the Van Der Hagan kit that came with a pure badger brush, mug and their "Luxury" soap (love the scent, BTW). Great price, all for $30+ on Amazon. Also got myself a Jagger, and history was made. As others have said, it immediately became a Zen-like experience, a sort of luxurious indulgence, a time-out sort of therapy, without the high price usually associated with luxurious indulgences or therapy (and I know). An indulgence that those who don't wet shave can never understand. And, to sum up, thanks for another session of "keyboard therapy".

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hi Alan! Welcome :)

Alan H likes this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome Alan. For your breach of protocol you have to send all TSD members a pack of blades. LOL!!

Alan H likes this.
  4. Alan H

Alan H Member

I probably have enough to do that, with all of the sample packs I bought. I probably have enough blades to last the rest of my life! It's kinda sad, since it hold me back from buying more blades that I read about.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is ok. You are still welcome. I never saw my dad use a brush or shaving cream. He would wash his face and then shave with a Gillette New Improved DE razor. Just water and his razor. I still don't know how he could stand it.
    welcome3.jpg

Herm2502 and Alan H like this.
  6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome Alan. I'm not sure anyone cares if you broke protocol. We more care that we can get to know you.

Alan H likes this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Alan and welcome to TSD! Happy Shavings!

Alan H likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome!

Alan H likes this.
  9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I got hooked. Welcome aboard.

Come on! You know that isn't true. He only has to send them to members that live in Ohio or Florida. ;)

Alan H likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Alan H likes this.
  11. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

:signs046::whacky024:. I'm sure one of our resident experts can help you ID the Gillette TTO, if you are interested.

Alan H likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den, Alan! It is great to have you here! I also remember my dad using a Gillette TTO and whatever bar soap my mom bought.

Herm didn't specify a blade preference, so I would recommend sending him some rusty lawnmower blades. :lyrtuy5:

Alan H likes this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

It's ok my son, you're in the machine now.. welcomeGORTINATOR.png

Alan H likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Alan H" from another "Grumpy Old Man"...:angry019:

Your dad was probably using a Super Speed. Please, please don't let the fact that you already have a mere lifetime supply of blades stop you from buying more blades to try. The more different blades you can try the better.:)

Alan H likes this.
  15. Alan H

Alan H Member

Maybe they didn't have fancy shave soaps back then!

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. Alan H

Alan H Member

I wish but, that razor was long gone when he committed sacrilege by switching to those all plastic razors that come by the dozen in plastic bags!

17. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

If you can give a good description, it may be enough.

Alan H likes this.
  18. Alan H

Alan H Member

Nah, I can't even remember what I had for breakfast. But thanks!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  19. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den, enjoy yourself.

20. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Your penance is five Hail Mantics.

Welcome to TSD.

Alan H likes this.