Proud new owner of a Simpsons Chubby 2 Super Badger - Questions

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by montieg, Apr 19, 2018.

1. montieg

montieg Well-Known Member

I have a used Chubby 2 Super headed my way (the attached picture isn't my brush). I am currently using a synthetic brush.
    Is there anything special I need to do before using it for my first shave?
    Is there anything different I need to do to take care of the Chubby seeing as it's a lot better quality brush and not synthetic? [​IMG]

Cheers
    Montie

Enrico, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  2. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

In my opinion silvertips don’t need to be broken in, the only thing I recommend is after your shave make sure all the soap is out and also try to hang upside down so that the water doesn’t affect the adhesive in the knot. Congrats it’s a beautiful brush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim99, MR41, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. montieg

Thanks. Since it's used I'm guessing already broken in.

Cheers
    Montie

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Boar brushes actually absorb water in the bristles and soften, so soaking them for a few minutes before use can help. Badger brushes trap water in the hair but don't absorb it, so soaking them briefly and then shaking them out is all that's needed. Synthetics of course don't absorb water at all, so a quick dip before use is all that's needed.

Beyond that, the main thing is care after use: badger brushes dry slower than synthetics (and boar even slower), so they need more time to dry out before being put away. That doesn't matter so much if the brush sits out on a well-ventilated countertop, but if it's being put away in a medicine cabinet or drawer, a badger brush should be left out to dry for several hours at least first.

Great brush. I am sure you will really enjoy it.

montieg, SevenEighth and RyX like this.
  5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Since it's been used I'd still give it a spa day first. Dissolve a little Borax is warm water and swish the brush in the solution milking it between dips. Then swipe it on a nice cotton towel to shake out any broken hairs or debris that might be present. Then a test lather just to introduce it to the soaps or creams you like, clean and let dry before shaving with it.

montieg and SevenEighth like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It is a crayz dense brush and you will need to load allot more soap than you do with a synthetic.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

And then load more soap. And a little more soap for good measure. AAandd.... some more soap.

Be nice to it. I don’t mean that you can’t use it like a brush, but don’t MASH and swirl, and change directions, and scrub like a bristle brush on a wash board. You can look at pictures on SOTDs and BSTs, and tell when people do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new (to you) brush! Enjoy to the fullest.

montieg likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It doesn't matter whether you hang the brush or sit it on its handle. Important thing is that you rinse the residual soap, shake out the excess H2O and allow the brush to dry in a well-ventilated space. Enjoy.

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Oops I forgot to add that part.

11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Congrats, enjoy your new brush.

12. montieg

Right now I swirl clockwise. Do I need to do more?

Cheers
    Montie

PickledNorthern and Primotenore like this.
  13. montieg

I'm hearing that a lot.
    Thx

Cheers
    Montie

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Stand on your right foot whilst swirling...:happy097:
    ;)

brit and PickledNorthern like this.
  15. montieg

Is it also advisable to do the Hokey Pokey and turn myself around? :rofl::eatdrink047:

Primotenore likes this.
  16. Primotenore

Article Team
    Beat me to it. You will love your brush. The CH2 handle and knot are fantastic.

Keithmax, Linuxguile and montieg like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Treat it like a woman in a bar you would like to go home with as opposed to a guy in a bar you would like to beat the crap out of.

18. montieg

Great analogy

Cheers
    Montie

herbert7890 and Keithmax like this.
  19. Grick

Grick Active Member

I just struck a bargain on amazon Germany: Chubby 3 super for €207. I couldn't resist. Sold and shipped by amazon. It was the last item in stock. Usually they sell for at least €270. Interestingly, on amazon USA the Chubby 3 sold for $230 which is the same amount converted to €. Of course the Chubby 3 has disappeared from amazon USA, too. I guess amazon needed to get rid of the brushes to open up space in their warehouses.

It's just arrived. A real looker!:love029: