Public Service Announcement for young dark side padowans such as myself

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Pilotcld, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I just wanted to share my experience as a new post for those who are interested in reading it but don't want to go to the very last comment of my initial Newbie introduction post.
    This has to do with finding someone to hone my great-grandfather's DublDuck SR that had been sitting in a box for just over 40 years.
    So here is my advice to anyone curious about where to get your SR honed.

Unless they can tell you that they hone SR's every day (or maybe even every other day), don't go to your local barber or knife sharpener who claims they know how to hone SR's. I say this as a dark side padowan who was so excited to join the dark side that I listened to someone from the AoS (nothing against the company at all), who said there is someone in town who can hone my SR. I went there and the first sign that should have sent me the other direction was that there was not one single SR in the entire store. Just knifes.
    I didn't listen to the little voice in my ear and let my excitement take over. I dropped off my SR and came back after the weekend to pick up my SR.

I went home and did the Arm Hair Test and thought that it had failed the AHT due solely to my complete and utter noobness. I went my temporary shave den (renting during my internship) and worked up a wonderful lather that was comparable to the videos I had seen. I picked up my SR, placed it against my cheek and proceeded to shave.... unsuccessfully... I now know what every video I watched meant when they say you know it's time for a good hone when your eyes start to water.
    I sent my SR to @gssixgun, (totally should've listened to everyone here at TSD) He received my SR yesterday and took the following pictures.
    SR1.jpg

SR2.jpg

SR3.jpg (this one makes me cringe... I tried to shave with that... :shocked003::mog::sick013:)

The pictures show that the guy in town used a belt to try and sharpen my SR.
    gssixgun found that the bevel was not even nor solid, the last guy left dings in edge and he was unable to find clean solid steel, and the pins were loose.

Simply put (my words, not his) this guy had no idea what he was doing with a SR.
    Currentlt my SR is back in the mail and on it's way home to me!! I will be able to shave with it just before my 28th birthday, so thank you for the birthday present Glen!

Overall, what do I hope people learn from this experience?
    First, learn from others mistakes.
    Second, listen to the recommendations of valued members of the forum. These guys know what they are doing are obviously trusted by the other members in this forum. (you joined the forum for a reason, to learn) :) (I don't know if I should call you Dark Jedi, or Sith or what...)
    I'm sure there are other great guys on this forum who can hone a blade for you, but just ask, pay the shipping, and get it done properly the first time!
    I will not step down from my soap box and I will post an update when I get my heirloom SR back in the mail and put it back to work after 40 years of dust and darkness.

Over and out!
    :transport015:

2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I hone my own but I'm pretty sure Glen could improve on my edge. one day I'll send him one and see how badly I've been doing.

Jim99, Drygulch, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pilotcld

I'm excited to hone on my own soon! I guess I should've made that a suggestion as well as I plan on buying a honing stone in the near future!
    What do you use to hone if you don't mind me asking?

4. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I use a cheap option that most people don't like using. I use a King 1k/8k stone then some natural stones I received in a PIF. I finish on a well burnished translucent Arkansas stone and a pasted balsa strop. I use 2 pastes one on each side of my board a Chomium Oxide paste and an Iron Oxide paste. I then strop on leather like normal. I want either the Norton set of stones or the Naniwa progression of stones with my preference on the naniwa. The gaps between my grits means I take forever to hone a razor from bevel to ready. A good progression makes it faster and easier.

5. Pilotcld

Thanks for the info! This is just more proof to me that there is another rabbit hole for me to jump down as soon as I've got this SR thing down haha. Good thing my SWMBO is as excited to watch me shave as I am to do it, because it's easier to talk her into letting me buy things when she likes what I'm doing haha! :happy108:

Jim99, RyX and ob1page like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think the only "knife" sharpener I would trust to hone a razor would be a really old Japanese guy who hones sushi knives for a living...and only if he uses a straight razor himself. :)

macaronus, Jim99, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  7. Pilotcld

I absolutely agree with you haha :)
    I honestly thought about taking this with me next week when I go to Japan and find someone out there, but decided that I probably shouldn't take a SR on a plane if I'm not checking any luggage haha.

ob1page and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Japanese straight razors are usually not honed like Western ones. You ought to pick up a Kamisori while you are there.

Drygulch, ob1page and Pilotcld like this.
  9. Pilotcld

At some point in my life I will :)
    Keeping my eyes peeled and wallet sealed for when I have enough to buy an Iwasaki Kamisori. Loved them since I first laid eyes on one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drygulch and ob1page like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    For me it was the vintage open comb twist-to-open razors. Been on the lookout for them for something like five years...March and April were good to me, and in about a twenty day span I picked up a mint Sheraton, mint Senator and the last one, a not so mint Aristocrat arriving tomorrow.

I know how it feels. :D

macaronus and Pilotcld like this.
  11. Pilotcld

Very nice!! My grandma also had a TTO that was my her dads, but my uncle walked off with it ;(
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my mom can get it back from him since he doesn't seem like he even wants to use it. I want to clean it up and make it look new and give it to my brother-in-law as a present

ob1page and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

did the same thing with my first razor.a dove 5/8.sendt it to a knife honer.it could shave when i got it back but not comfy.and the edge got dull pretty fast.so i though i might learn to hone my self.bought some naniwas and watch a bunch of videos on youtube.most of gssixgun and mr abrams.and got a pretty good result.using the dove for practicing honing now.have som vintage eskilstuna razors also but don`t touch them with a hone yet.one of them i bout from bob`s razors,and two other from an old barber.and all came honed and shave ready. have a llyn melynllyn on it`s way so be exited to try the dove on that one.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I always recommend that novices have their SRs professionally honed in order to recognize what a true shave-ready looks and feels like before attempting to 'hone one's own.'
    It goes without saying that when I refer to a honing pro, I mean one who has had considerable experience with straight razors and the sharpening thereof.
    Armed with the knowledge and familiarity of what a keen 'shave-ready' edge feels like (both to the touch and on the face), a beginner can eventually decide to take the honing plunge.
    It is often recommend to wait, however, until one can competently SHAVE with an SR before buying a stack of honing stones.

Billyfergie, macaronus, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  14. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your story here. I have a fellow employee who told me he wanted to get into straight razor shaving and had a razor (Dovo) he bought in high school HE insisted on telling me how good he was at sharpening knives and such and didn't listen to me initially! SR honing is a WHOLE different breed of cat. I hone to the level of shave ready, but nothing crazy good like Glenn's or Larry's silky smooth edges!

15. 7055

7055 Active Member

So what are a list of some known good places to get your SR honed?

Pilotcld likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Gem Star Customs (@gssixgun )
    Whipped Dog (Larry)

Both should be easy to find in an online search.

Pilotcld, Billyfergie and macaronus like this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

lindyhopper66 and Pilotcld like this.
  18. 7055

7055 Active Member

How about razor emporium? Just ordered a honing service from them the other day

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just curious, but why to you order a honing service THEN ask how they are and who we would recommend?

20. 7055

7055 Active Member

I ordered it before I saw this thread

Robyflexx likes this.