Puma Restoration. Hopefully.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Sep 9, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Puma
    13/16+
    1/2 Hollow

It had a chippy blade, with a tiny hairline crack.

Before:

Lots of work needed. The chips, the crack, the rust/pitting, and the scales.

P8261128.JPG

P8261129.JPG

2. DaltonGang

I have massaged the chips, and the crack. I didn't lose much blade.
    I now have taped around the Gold stamping, on the blade.

P9091145.JPG

Swiped some nail polish, from the wife.
    Reggae To Riches. Sparkly.
    I have applied it to the Gold, and will remove the tape, after it starts to set up, a little.

P9091146.JPG

3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I have never tried this... glad you posted this one Scott, and I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

Edison Carter and DaltonGang like this.
  4. DaltonGang

After about 10 minutes, the nail polish was tacky, to the touch, which is perfect. removed the tape, and will let it set-up for a few hours, while I go to the gym.
    In a different light, I could see, a very very small amount of the crack still remains. Not a big deal, I will massage it out, before anything else.
    Puma said this was a 6/8th inch blade, but it started almost a 7/8th inch. It should be a true 13/16th when the crack is massaged out, and the edge is honed.
    Puma is very generous, with their steel.

P9091147.JPG

5. DaltonGang

Well, the minor pitting was deeper than expected. So, quite a bit was left. The nail polish worked great. I did add some more, to cover up some of the etching. I lost some etching, trying to get some of the rust. So, not the best, but not my worst. Off to the Hones.

PA141188.JPG

PA141189.JPG

6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Nice careful work Scott :happy088:

7. DaltonGang

It's proving to be a PITA to hone. I'm doing three razors on the hones today, and this Puma is particularly difficult. . Can't wait to finish it. Super hard steel, and prone to be "Chippy".

Keithmax and gssixgun like this.
  8. taskind

taskind Well-Known Member

how did you remove the nail polish ? My first thought is acetone, I am not sure but it is very strong it can erase the gold stamping

9. DaltonGang

Yes, acetone, and tissue paper. You pour a little on the nail polish, wipe and rub. Careful not to get any on the scales. Just keep putting it on and wiping it off, gently, several times. This will do no harm to the gold.

taskind and Keithmax like this.
  10. leemarkus

leemarkus New Member

It's a great thing..