purpose of Talc?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by redorchestra, Oct 3, 2007.

1. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

What is the purpose of talc?
    I generally use it in shoes, or on my chamois for long bike rides.
    I have seen it on many shave gear sites, so I did some research here.
    I also noticed on the shave gear sites the mention of flesh talc (don't know who's flesh) or tinted talc.

....So ....is talc:
    A: An skin irritation product.
    B: A way to keep dry (hot climate or oily skin)
    C: To cover up heavy stubble (my problem)
    D: not used on the face (just happens to be on shave gear sites)

Thanks

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Joe - that is great question. I have been playing around with Talc for a short time myself, and I find that it has several different purposes:

1) To calm irritations
    2) To soak excess moisture (keep skin dry)
    3) To minimize the appearance of "residual" beard for somebody with dark hair and light skin.
    4) Minimize skin chafing if you are wearing a shirt with a tight collar

Also, you asked about "flesh" colored talc.......that is talc that is colored pinkish, in attempt to match natural skin tone. Now obviously, if you have very dark skin it won't make a difference........but in any event I think that if you only use a small amount and make sure to massage it in, you should be ok.

I just (today actually) picked up a mentholated talc [Viti Shave Talc], which I plan to use after shaving only.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

One more thing to mention is that some (but not many, if more than one or two) shave soaps contain Talc.

Namely, Provence Sante' Shave Soap

4. JMS

JMS New Member

Great for baby butts too!;):happy097

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Well as long as your expanding our horizons, here's a couple more ideas:

• To absorb grease stains from carpet, cover the stain with talcum powder. Vacuum after a few hours.
    • When camping, use talcum powder to dry-wash hair. Rub into hair, then brush out.

6. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Brilliant! I'll have to try it. I love the shirt collar use. But I wouldn't want pink stains on my shirt. Then again, I don't want to look like Marilyn Manson when I put talc on my face

7. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Well a bit more research turned up health warning about talc. They say it is similar to asbestos. Cornstarch is the recomended alternative for diaper rash. Has anyone tried cornstarch on their face?

8. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

Warning, TMI alert..Do not read if avoiding TMI.....

anyone who has been to or lives in South East Asia knows what talc is for..... one word, chafing.

My favorite? gold bond extra medicated (the green one)

To keep this forum family style, all I can say is sometimes, the boys will get dusted, and they need it when going for those long hikes, or exercise situations. As for elsewhere, this stuff is great all over, especially X1000 when it is humid out. You can come off smelling like BenGay, but sometimes, function must take precedence over fashion. And anywho, I like the smell of menthol, kill me!:D:D:D

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

let's not forget AMB!!! Available at your local tack and Whole Foods stores.

Raf

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Since an alum block and Syeptic pencil can perform the same functions why would I select Talcum to seal my nicks?

11. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I want to know why my barber puts talk on a brush...and proceeds to place it on my ears/neck/shirt after a haircut

12. Will

Will Nevermind

WHY NOT! :mad:

Don't be qustioning the REAL Barbers. NOW do Stylest use Talc?

13. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Actually...it is a Stylist :p

14. Will

Will Nevermind

OK, then im not mad. :rofl

15. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

You havent answered my question though....why do barbers/stylists place this on the neck and ears after a haircut?

16. Will

Will Nevermind

Same reason to use it as......

An Aftershave
    Skin Protection
    Deodorant
    Irritation Relief

Bottom Line is IT FEELS GOOD.
    I can go on if you wish. :p

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I know that Pinaud talc smells so so so so good :)

18. Will

Will Nevermind

Well their you have it.

The reason you are seeking. ::

19. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I want some Penhaligon English Fern Talc. Gimme!!!!

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The talc/asbestos scare is a pre- 09/01/1989 issue, and from what I understand any talc produced after that is a non-event as far as containing asbestos.

The issue with talc then, which remains today.......is inhalation of mass quantities of it. If you create a smoke-plume full of talc in your bedroom when you apply the talc, it will most likely get in your lungs and cause problems. But if you use it in moderation and in a normal manner you should be fine.

Cornstarch didn't work for me. It can not be pulverized to the extent that talc can, and I would never put it on my face. I did use it "other" places and it tended to clump up. Nasty stuff.

I used the Viti Mentholated talc today and it was AWESOME> :drool

If I had a baby, I would probably use cornstarch rather than talc, just to play it safe.

**Note - I am not a doctor, nor a chemist, or a mineral expert. By nature of this disclaimer, I am hereby indemnified against any deleterious health effects caused by following my advice; furthermore, it shall not be my responsbility as to any costs or related damages arising from the use of talc.