Quality bath soap- is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Capt America, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Capt America

Capt America Member

Ok- so I've been debating trying some different bath soap. I've mainly just used stuff like Irish Spring, Dial, etc. I don't have any problems with these. I usually adhere to the idea of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

However, I see a lot of rave reviews about some soaps(Issy's seems to be getting a whole lot of love around here, Nancy Boy seems to get a lot of good reviews as well. I hear there are some good goat milk soaps as well).

My question to you soap connoisseurs- being that I'm currently content with the current Wal-Mart soaps, if I were to try one of these handmade bath soaps, would I really be wowed by the difference?

Yes, I'm a cheapskate and that instantly that makes me hesitant.

2. herzi

herzi Active Member

Hi Kevin,

yes they are definitely worth it if you have rather dry skin like me. For others I don't know.
    I think you should give them a try. I would recommend you a cold process soap like Olivia's soaps.
    I have to recommend Olivia's soaps as I don't know the American soap manufacturer's products.

Take care.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, if you love to use products that are loaded with sometimes "dangerous" chemical agents, parabens, SLS and many more then you're welcome to continue using those "cheap" soaps. If you persist on using stuff that's more or less good for you and doesn't contain questionable substances, then a "quality" bar of soap is the way to go.

4. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Yes, a good cp soap will wow you. I haven't used a commercial "detergent bar" since.

5. Will

Will Nevermind

I have one thing to say.

GET ISSY'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Isn't it worth a few bucks to give it a try?

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Hey Issy's. GET ISSY'S!!!

You will never go back..

8. Austin

Austin Member

You can actually find some nice soaps at TJ Maxx. I prefer Italian soaps and have been lucky to find them there.

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Agreed. Absolutely!

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Dr. Bronner's
    are excellent as well

$2.50 a bar at Trader Joe's and they last a vurra long time

11. Capt America

Capt America Member

How long do CP soaps last?

I was personally thinking of going with Nancy Boy, as I've heard their soap is really good and also last a while as they are heftily sized.

Just still a bit hesitant....

12. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

A bar of Issy's lasts me probably.. 2-3 weeks of showering every day. They are BIG.

13. Capt America

Capt America Member

Has anyone ever used Mistral bath soap? Is it any good?

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Just do it, man! It's soap.

Four bars, Lavender, Italian. Nice, $5.99, Marshall's. (Sorry for the bad pic.)

Attached Files:

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

+3 A lot of great triple milled there for $3.99-$6.99.

Try the almond scents....

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I know my skin has been a lot better since I stopped using commercial soaps. I used a couple of different bars of commercial soap for about a month not too long ago. Had to use up old stock and my skin was not happy. Went back to Issy's and Dr. Bonner's and back to feeling good. +1 on the Marshall's and T.J. Max bargains. You can get some really nice triple milled soaps for next to nothing.

17. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Anybody ever try body wash gels and a loofa (sp?). I've been using that and citris-y soaps for a while now and absolutely love them. All those commercial soaps dry my skin and leave me feeling dry and itchy. I spend 5$ on a bar of shea butter soap from a spa that was sold by C.O. Biggelow. It left me feeling worse than the cheap bars, but smelt much better.

18. mercV12

mercV12 Member

WOW soap!

I bought some Olive Oil soap from Isreal....WOW! Who knew!! It wasn't cheap but that olive green cubed soap was the best thing since sliced bread. If you really want to try something that goes way beyond your expectations, try this Olive Oil soap from Isreal. :D

I got some Avacado Oil soap today from Temecula Valley Cheese Company today. It was made by a local. Very nice.

19. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Once you try a good soap, it's hard to ever go back to the bars we find at the local walmart. :sick007

20. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Keep in mind that a quality bath soap doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be high $.

There are some very good soaps out there that are better quality "real" soaps (no SLS) that are cheap. Yardley (US version, not the $$$ kind shavingessenitals sells) is like $1 for 2 or 4 and is great. Marseille soaps can be found on the cheap if you look, and yes Marshalls/TJ Maxx have some good bargains.

But if you really want to try some hand crafted CP soaps then the best bargain will likely be found on ebay. I've tried several vendors, picking up a "scratch & dent" or "grab bag" lot just to try their product on the cheap, and then if I like it I'll buy a loaf of whatever scent I like.

I just picked up 30 bars of odds & ends CP handmade superfatted soap from an ebay vendor and have been very happy w/my purchase (paid about $1/5 oz bar). Lucked out and most were unscented superfatted olive oil soaps, but I also got a few bay rum & lime as well. Are they as good as Issy soaps? No, they're probably not, but they work for me and I didn't pay $7-$9 for a bar that will last 3 weeks.