question about DE razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SHAVEWIZARD420, Apr 26, 2015.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I am in the market to find a new razor. the only one I have is a cheap The Shaving Factory butterfly razor and even thou its not a bad razor, I am interested in a vintage one. my question is how much is a decent price for one in the wild in USA? ive seen quite a few under $20. i know antique stores can overcharge sometimes so I don't want to get ripped off so is there any brand/type I should keep my eye out for? (soap catcher?)

2. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I have never paid more than $10 for a DE razor at an antique store. I did however pay quite a bit for my Gillette Slim that I picked up on eBay. Sure I have seen several others that I liked but if they are overpriced I keep walking, don't get sucked into paying too much just because you found a nice one.

You will get better deals in person but you will put a lot of miles on your car and feet digging around for them.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My best finds have been at estate sales. Antique shops come in second. $20, in those settings, can get you a decent razor. A few Gillettes you might consider would be a Tech (they made them for decades), or a NEW. Both are fairly common. A Schick Krona can usually be found on that price range. The Tech and the Krona after nice, mild razors. Have fun!

4. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I've found a few good ones at my local antique shops. Bought a decent Tech for 5 bucks. Saw a practically new Lady Gillette for $15. A lot of those places will take your name and number and call you when they get stuff in that you might be interested in.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

KRONA!!!!!

GDCarrington, Herm2502 and Daytonkb like this.
  6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I have kept all of my vintage purchases under $20 with the exception of my slim adjustable....

Strictly from a shaving standpoint, I would recommend you look for a tech. They are abundant, inexpensive, and the argument could be made that they are the best overall shaver ever made. Mild enough to learn on, but not too mild, and the slim head gets everywhere comfortably.

I have a prewar fat handle tech. it is the only DE razor I have from my early wetshaving days that still gets used regularly. I can count on it to do the job quickly and efficiently with any of my blades or soaps. It is in fact, my "control razor" when I am judging new supplies...

GDCarrington, jakie55 and Daytonkb like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    All good advice. The hunt begins...:signs011:

8. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

@BigMark said the right word KRONA! But of course all the others that were mentioned are really good razors as well.

GDCarrington and BigMark like this.
  9. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    So far in the past few days, asking advice, I have been told that the "New" style, the "Old" style, the "Tech" and the SS "Red Tip" are the best razors ever made!!!

Just sayin, pretty amazing all these razors (individually) have a SOLID fan base it seems!!!

10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

They do! I have all four types...

Which one will be "your" favorite will come down to differences in beard, skin type, technical nuances, etc. Having said that, I could live a long happy life with no other razor than one of the four you listed above.

11. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I have collected a small armory of vintage razors and although I am yet to find a DE that I cant get a comfortable shave with I could easily live the rest of my life only shaving with my Gillette Slim Adjustable.

12. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Mmmmm...the Red Tip.

13. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    See my "Red Tip" thread on page one,for some good info and opinions!!!

14. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

The NEW isn't bad either.

15. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I pay anywhere from 10-20 dollars at antique stores for vintage Gillette razors.

16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

thank you everyone for the info. this is why TSD is the best forum on the net! the reason I asked is because my dad said he saw a bunch of DE razors at a local antique shop and I wanted to learn as much as possible before I go up there

17. natal000

natal000 Active Member

I have purchased some nice razors from consignment shops as well as ebay. I love the Gillette Adjustable razors and I own 2 Fat Boys (model 195), 2 Black Beauties (Super Slim) one in gold and one in silver and also 2 Slim Adjustable. I have shaved with all but the Fat Boys and they are wonderful mild shavers, I would recommend pairing them with Gillette Silver Blue or Polsilver Iridium blades. These are all great user collectable razors and not too expensive. The fat boys should not go over $75 dollars unless they are near mint with a case. The same for the Black Beauty. and not more than $50 for the Slim Adjustable.

18. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Just to further what everyone else said, one can also get Schick injectors at antique shops for very reasonable dollars. Once you learn the differences between the E, G, and I, you are set. I personally have the and I, and they shave wonderfully. If you wish to get an amazing education on them, and are willing to spend some time, head over to the Injector and SE party thread.... all 134 pages.

spacehobo likes this.
  19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I get my oldies at Thrift Stores and Yard Sales I paid $3 each for a Gillette Fatboy and BB Adjustables and $6 for a Slim at a Thrift Stores. I've never paid more than $12 for any of my vintage razors.