Question About Injector Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tntsl, Apr 16, 2016.

1. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

I got my first (and at this point only) injector razor a couple weeks ago. It's a Schick Eversharp and it came with a few blades that I think are original or at least pretty old.
    I put in a fresh blade from those it came with, tried it for one shave and was pretty unimpressed - lots of tugging and a poor shave overall.
    I've read great things about injectors so I figure my experience is unusual. What did I do wrong? Do I need to get new blades? Was it the razor?
    Any insight will be appreciated. I'd like to experience the goodness of an injector razor first hand!

Billyfergie, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Pick up some new Schick blades, you'll really enjoy your new injector.
    image.jpeg

IDuck, Billyfergie, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

^^What he said ^^

Billyfergie, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup

Billyfergie, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not sure if it's common with Schick brand injectors, did you drag the blade over the blade stops? @twhite 's Bunny had some problems when folks were loading a fresh blade.

6. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

I'm not positive but I don't think so.

7. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

Got 'em in my Amazon cart now. Thanks!

Billyfergie, AGHisBBS, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What the guys said above. I tolerated injectors for years until trying the yellow pack Schicks. Now I enjoy it.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Chinese Schick blades are very sharp. Leave the old blade in, before loading the new blades. Old blades are notorious for not working out(rust).
    If it still tugs with a fresh Chick blade, then look at your angle.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Last October, I just bought 100 Personnas from Ted Pella. That will probably last me at least 5 years since I also use DEs. But, they are great blades.

BLADES, PTFE TREATED, DISP/20 for 4.90 each 5 for 24.50
    FREIGHT CHARGE of 7.70 for a total of 32.20

So, that was 100 blades for 32.20. Each blade was about 32 cents each. That is manageable, especially since they last for many many shaves. It beats the $1 each price for the Chinese Schicks. I like them better, too.

Billyfergie, AGHisBBS, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  11. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Ditto on new Schick blades, Chinese so some of us call them Chicks. Now that you have loaded a blade try replacing it with a new one, sometimes those old razors won't load correctly on the first attempt due to sticking, crud, corrosion, whatever. If there was no blade in it then when you got it you very likely dragged the blade edge over the blade stops when you loaded.

Karl G, Billyfergie, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  12. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

Turned out this was the problem. Still had issues with a new blade - shaved like a butter knife. Put in a second new blade more carefully and it was great! Just have to pay more attention when loading blades.

Karl G, RyX and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Success is sweet. Happy shaves, @tntsl .

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.