Question for the coffee roasters out there...

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by coche1, May 9, 2012.

1. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I know from reading threads on here that most of you guys roasting your own coffee beans seem to prefer using old popcorn poppers after making a few modifications. My SIL is really becoming a bit of a self-proclaimed coffee snob in the last year or two, and I was thinking that a neat gift idea for her at some point might be to get her into roasting her own beans so she can have her coffee exactly how she wants it every time. It seems like it would be a little weird though to give her an old, modified/customized popcorn popper that I picked up at the flea market as a gift though. Are you guys aware of any like 'starter kits' to get into roasting at home that are available? Maybe like a kit that comes with roaster and an assortment of a couple different variety of beans or something?

2. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! Hirsute beat me to the link! :happy088:

I use a stove top popcorn popper. Picked it up new at Target for about $35. If you go the stove top popper route, get a stainless steel one. They have all metal parts.
    The aluminum poppers will work, but you really have to watch them so as not to overheat and wind up melting 'em. They also have a plastic gear that can melt.

Been using my popper for over three years now. No problems at all.