Question for you Coffee Roasters...

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by JR Reyes, Aug 22, 2014.

1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I know some of you guys roast your own coffee beans, and I was just wondering if you would ever offer to sell a batch? I thought about learning the process and investing in some gear, but I doubt I would make the time for it, and I would love to try some of the finished products. Please shoot me a PM if this is an option. I don't have a preference, but have always wanted to try some African varieties.

Thanks

JPJ and Omelmad like this.
  2. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

I have some Ethiopian green beans currently ... Ill roast you a jar full if you would like to try them.

Trying to figure out how to pm ... Lol

3. JR Reyes

Sweet...much appreciated. I will start the conversation...lol

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Takes me about 40-45 minutes from start up until the gear is put away to roast up a pound.
    You find time for your priorities. ;)

SharptoothC likes this.
  5. JR Reyes

To be honest Steve, I was looking forward to your post on here, and I knew that statement was going to come back to bite me..lol. I agree that we always make time for what's important. However, I already have one expensive hobby, and knowing my personality, if I dive into the coffee roasting world, Im going to get obsessed and SWMBO would kill me..lol. I start up a new class on thursday, and I need to stock up on some whole bean. You know how important it is for teaching. Thanks for your input, always appreciated.

6. swarden43

Expensive? Nah. I started with a $35 stove top popper about four years ago. Still using it.

Green coffee beans are not that much more expensive per pound than a good quality already-roasted whole bean. But the flavor is soooo much better with your fresh home roasted. Well worth every extra penny.

SharptoothC likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Same here. I've gotten away for home-roasting over the past year, but hope to get back into it again. I miss the flavor & freshness!

8. JR Reyes

I don't know why I always thought it was much more expensive for the gear. You are adding more pros than cons, so I might just give it a shot. Do you still have a link or good starting point for where I can get the basics?

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You can spend some big $$$ on large roasting units, but there are other quite successful methods. My favorite source for the green beans, good insightful information and coffee roasting-related goods: Sweet Marias

10. swarden43

Yup. Sweet Maria's. Check out their starter sets.

11. JR Reyes

Awesome guys...thanks. I will check it out..

12. Sweet Marias is a great source and all you need is a air popcorn popper and a stopwatch. However I have gotten lazy and just buy already roasted beans. The smell of beans being roasted is sublime though.

13. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I used an air popper because I had one already, it worked like a charm.
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php

It's probably time to order some more beans and get started again this fall. It's a good outdoor activity on cool mornings, the smell of roasting coffee beans is great.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I love fresh roasted coffee. I do enjoy the whole roasting process. What I don't particularly enjoy is the smell of the beans being roasted. I love the smell of roasted coffee beans afterwards—one of those GREAT scents!
    But roasting green beans releases a more acrid aroma to my nose—the smell of burning burlap or burning sugar—as the oils and sugars begin releasing air and moisture trapped within the bean (popping and cracking ensues).
    It doesn't smell of coffee at this point—which, when finished and packed away in an airtight container, the smell of the beans is near the top of 'favorite' aromas (along with frying bacon, fresh-cut wood, Pinaud Vegetal....:D)

15. JR Reyes

Air popper??? Who knew!! I will for sure give this a shot...thanks for the info and resources.

16. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

17. swarden43

What's hap'nin' @JR Reyes !

Old thread, didn't feel a need to start a new one as there's some great info here. Figured it may morph into more of a thread discussing aspects of roasting: what, why, how, etc.

Roasted up a half pound of Kenya in a stovetop popper. A bit darker than I wanted, but it will still taste great. I'll let it rest and grind up some fresh Saturday morning.
    20170207_184239.jpg

18. swarden43

19. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've done a couple of small batches. Turned out pretty good.

20. swarden43

Elaborate, please :)
    What did you roast? How did you roast it? What are your initial thoughts? What did you learn worked or didn't work?