Question on fat handle techs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SDK, Apr 3, 2014.

1. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Just when I think I can't get a better shave.....

I picked up a 1938-1940 Gillette fat handle tech (USA with triangle lather ports).

[​IMG]

I purposely grabbed one that was clean, but not necessarily beautiful. Figured if I liked the shave I could invest in a nicer one. I tried it out last night after sterilizing it, and was rewarded with an incredible two pass shave that is still BBS in spots this morning :happy088:

This leads into my question. Is all of the year of manufacture, triangle ports, etc, just stuff of concern to the collector, or do you get a significantly different SHAVE out of different FHT variants???

I want to buy a great looking, vintage FHT that shaves like this one. Am I limited to exactly this model, or do I have some leeway with regard to year of manufacture, port shape, etc???

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Scott,
    In my limited experience, the triangular slotted Techs are slightly more aggressive. I use a Fat Handle Tech to shave my head every other day. I have a newer Ball End tech with oval slots that I use on my face and I am not sure if I could cut myself with it. I've used in on my head, but the Fat Handle just feels better in my hand.

I really like my Fat Handle Tech. It is definitely user grade with some brass peaking through the cap, but it does a really nice job shaving.

SDK likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Scott, I personally haven't noticed a significant difference in the four different Tech models I have shaved with.
    All models shaved quite comfortably—all were on the milder side (i.e. required at least three good passes to get ultra-smooth).
    Two were ball-ends; the others were FH Techs. I preferred the FH Techs (circa 1950-55).
    The only vintage Gillettes I've held onto (having sold off a dozen or more other models: Slim, Fat Boy, Aristos, SuperSpeeds, New, GoodWill, Milord, etc) are the FH Techs. :cool:

SDK likes this.
  4. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks guys! The input is really appreciated :happy088:

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love my FHT.

SDK likes this.
  6. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Congratulations! They look fine with the brass and red brass exposed as well, IMO at least.

[​IMG]

SDK and maltedmilk like this.
  7. digitaldome

digitaldome Well-Known Member

I had a fat handled tech with the triangle slots, and I also heard it was more aggressive than the techs with the oblong slots...
    I've never shaved with tech with the oblong slots so I can't tell you a difference.
    It did give me nice close shaves...

SDK likes this.
  8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

+1

Here is mine. I am looking to get a gold/rose gold two tone replating job done on it to keep the contrast.

Red Brass and Brass.jpg

I was going to send it's brother to kronakruiserrazors.com for replating in Nickel, but the business has been put on hold it seems. "Due to unforeseen circumstances, replating services are not provided at this time. Krona Kruiser-"

SDK likes this.
  9. SDK

SDK it's his fault

All the feedback has been very helpful. I am intrigued enough to at least try another one or two of these. Worst case is I have a few great razors, and it doesn't seem like selling them will be a problem.

Chris - thanks for the pictures. Your FHT looks great, and I hadn't thought about just polishing it down to the brass.

Misphit- I would like to see pics and get details if you find someone to do that two tone plating job. Another great idea!

45auto likes this.
  10. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Hi I have a 1940's ball end gold tech for sale with original gold plating for sale if your interested asking 25.00.I am still new hear and I don't know if this is Evan allowed.take care 45
    I also have a fat handle tech I replanted in rhodium it loves my face 3pass shave for a bbs-dfs every time.take care 45auto

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  11. SDK

SDK it's his fault

45auto. Welcome to the den...

To answer your question that is definitely "not" allowed. Check and read the rules in the classified section....

12. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Hi Scott
    Thanks for the heads up .I am a little confused about this so I am guessing the shopping section of the forum is ok because the proceeds go to support the std...take care 45auto