Question re: shea butter in Mama Bear soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Leisureguy, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

In the Mama Bear shaving soaps, I notice some whose labels mention shea butter and vitamin E, and others that do not. Is there anyone in the forum who can definitively say which are shea butter soaps? :)

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think all her soaps are now shea butter and vit. E. (new recipe).

Sue or TraderJoe will be along to correct me if I'm wrong. :D

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The MB shave soaps w/ shea butter have "New Recipe" printed on the label

And yes, as JoAnna mentioned.... all are made now according to the "New Recipe"

4. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

All of them... They have all been switched over to the new recipe.. I am taking 'new recipe' back off the labels.. They are now the 'tried and true' recipe with shea butter, aloe butter, extra glycerin and natural vit e added and seem to work better for folks.

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I just must say that MamaBear is one of the absolutely BEST shaving soaps out there - just pick your scent :D Theyre all GREAT !!

6. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

How does the Shea Butter affect the shave. I used some homemade sops from a UK supplier. When the recipe was changed to include Shea Butter.....I found that both lather and lubrication decreased. I think this may have been a problem with this particular manufacturer as everyone raves about Mamma Bear's soaps. Can someone confirm this?

7. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Adding oil to a shaving soap decreases the amount of lather that you will get. Oils and butters are the same thing by the way, butter is an oil in a solid form. The best analogy I have heard is putting your finger into the head of an overflowing carbonated beverage.. it immediately reduces the foam.

I have not added enough oils to immediately reduce the foam, but have added enough to give a more moisturizing shave. It is a balancing act determining where you want to be on the scale in regard to moisture vs lather. I am hoping I am getting to a nice balance with the soap, but I have learned that you cannot please everyone.. :rolleyes: :)

8. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

You do Please ME !! Thank you !! :) :) :)

9. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

I need to find some blushing emoticons... Thank you Thomas! :)

All of the feedback that I get helps immeasurably.. I hope it never stops.. sometimes hearing something bad about your soap can be the best thing that can happen...

Sue

10. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I find that I get a fine lather from Mama Bear soaps. I build the lather on my face, and the soaps really do a fine job.

11. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Lathering is not a problem with MB soaps. And I find them to be the most lubricrating soaps I've used.

12. ada8356

ada8356 Member

Maybe they just don't work with my skin or something... I can get beautiful looking lathers from MB soap, but it never has enough lubrication... the razor skips... the new recipe were much slicker than the original, but still not slick enough. It's too bad because all of the scents I've ever tried smell great.

13. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

That's completely different from my experience. The first time I used a MB soap, it lubricated so well I felt like I was cheating. :) I guess it truly is a YMMV thing.

14. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Aaron I feel your pain, in this case you can use the MB soaps a superlather additive.
    Take your fav. cream or good cream and take some of the MB soapy water into your brush that way you have the scent and the lubrication from your fav. soap. or you two soaps. there are no rules to Superlathering .

For example I cant use the Dragonsblood it kills my face but the scent it just too nice to throw the puck away so ill use a cream and a mix of the Dragonsblood to get the scent all over the place.

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I am speechless on this one - I find the MB soap to be of the most "lubricating" of shaving soaps out there. It is a soap, so it won't protect like a cream....but it does have cushion and they are very slick.

16. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

In defense of MB soaps Im a user of the Old recipe that had some starting up problems. so I guess the new recipe doesnt have the problems anymore and Sue is taking off the label of new recipies that would mean its all ok now !

->>Aaron im surprised to hear about the slickness ..that is something that really is something the MB soaps good at. have you tried experimenting water ratio versus soap usage ? and face it not all products will end up being the best for you. sometimes its fact of life........

17. ada8356

ada8356 Member

I dunno. Believe me, I wanted them to work out... they all smell so good.

However, I've used Honeybee, Tabac, QED, and Mama Bear... and that's probably the order that the soaps rank for me as far as 'slickness'... but the MB is the only one that I've had to quit using because it just wouldn't for me. Every now and then, I can mess up a lather of QED and it won't be slick enough... however, I've never had trouble with HB or Tabac.

18. Bandg

Bandg New Member

I have spent some time on the water ratio with all my products and now am getting better shaves. They all have a different "sweet spot" for performance. MB soaps give me the closest shave, but I alternate as to not go so close everyday. YMMV, Bradley