Question: What Razor Do You Use

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by V1P3R, May 25, 2010.

1. V1P3R

V1P3R New Member

Hello Everyone,

Question: What brand is the razor that you guys use?

2. Daerrick

Daerrick New Member

I use an old razor i bought cheap at an antiques store, a gillette tech i think it is.

3. gsurko

gsurko New Member

What day is it?

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I just retired a merkur 23c for a gillette tech and will retire that for a lord tech premium long handled when it arrives. Should be tomorrow!

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

when you say razor, do you specifically mean the razor or do you also mean the blade?

A lot of folks on this board rotate their razors. Rotation lengths vary- so one person might rotate through seven different razors in a week, etc...

I use two different razors: an open comb M.P. R89 and a frankenrazor Gillette NEW (it has a NEW head combined with the handle from a fat handled Tech). I shave with one until the blade goes out, and then switch over to the other razor and so on.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.

The best place to see what folks are using is to browse around here.

I use a different razor every day. I have about a dozen or so that I rotate through.

7. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

good call on shave of the day. Can't believe I forgot...

8. onebaldy

onebaldy New Member

My go to razor

Gillette Red Tip

9. TimeWeaver

TimeWeaver Member

That's the idea! ;-)

+1
    :happy102

10. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I have 3 in my rotation. Gillette red Tip, Parker22Rand my favorite a Merkur Progress. I use Lord Platinum blades in all three. When I need a thrill of a shave, I'll break out my Magic Shavette just to see how lucky I'll be for that day. Welcome to TSD.

11. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

I've acquired several razors over the past few months, but I have yet to come up with a rotation for them. Maybe a week at a time:

Parker 80r
    Gillette SuperSpeed
    GEM Micromatic Open Comb
    Parker SR2 shavette

we'll see!

12. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I'm up to about 40 razors-got the AD bad. I usually use a razor until the blade is cashed-2-3 shaves for me. Sometimes I'll switch off between two active ones at a time. I have no specified rotation and just grab what I feel like that day. Some are used more than others-my slants. I have just discovered that I like injectors much more than I though-just needed a decent blade so it'll be interesting to see how much I go to those. I also like SE razors but need a bit more time so will probably make it my weekend shaver-inspired by SWARDEN.
    I also just shaved with a straight for the first time but that took a long time and will evolve very slowly.

13. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

2 words: Edwin Jagger

14. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Razor I Use:

Razor: Gillette 3-piece tech with ornate aluminum handle, and says "Pat. Off" and "Marcas Reg" on the blade guard. Have one plus four backups just in case.

Blades: Currently using Dollar General Blades that are either palm stropped or stropped only once using a Twinplex. Also use Family Dollar Razors and American Personnas. All blades are palm stropped or stropped with a Twinplex before shaving.

Everyone around here has their personal preferences around here and what works for one may or may not work for another in terms of razors and blades. Experiment and have fun. You will learn a LOT here. Variety is the spice of life. Diversity is what expands our horizons. Unfortunately eating too much is what expands my horizon!:D

15. El Judio Afeitado

El Judio Afeitado New Member

Started out with the Feather "Popular" DE in late February this year. An attack of RAD has left me with a Treet Del-Rin (it is a very good, razor, BTW) and a Merkur 34 C as well.

Was rotating randomly but I decided to find out about the various blades I've acquired along the way. So, I have four days in with the Merk and a Zorrik blade (by India's Vidyut) and will see if I can get a full week out of this blade.

Next, I'll see if I can get a week out of a U.S. Personna (chain-store generic, i.e.) with the Treet. I don't know if I'll end up with a personal favorite anything. For me, it's about the thrill of the chase. I actually look forward to shaving each day where I never did before!

16. Junior

Junior New Member

I've been using my Red Tip and an Edwin Jagger DE89L, and love 'em both.

17. El Judio Afeitado

El Judio Afeitado New Member

What, no RAD? :eek:

The only cure for that affliction, apparently, is the old, tried-and-true remedy: Penniless-cillin! :scared011

18. Shaving.ie

Shaving.ie New Member

I rotate between two razors. Merkur Progress and my recently acquired EJ DE89L. The progress was always my go to and nothing else came close until I caved and bought the Jagger. Both are fantastic razors with their own unique characteristics.

19. Hiya,

For the last couple years I used the fatboy as my go to razor. I've had experience with maybe 30-40 or so other razors, so I know what works best for me by now. I have many other razors that I'll use occasionally, but the fatboy had been the perfect one for me......until recently.

Three months ago I revisited my 1958 Executive, and haven't used the fatboy since. For whatever the reason, this thing is the best razor tried to date. I prefer the knurling over the fatboy, although I believe the rest of the razor's just like a fatboy. I had another Executive years ago that I sold because it didn't perform well for me. This one's the total opposite. Yeah, not all same model razors perform the same.....I've seen that before many times. No idea why, but this particular razor fits me perfectly.

Martin

20. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I have quite a few razors, and rotate between a number of them, every now and then trying out something new.

My go to type of razor is a Schick injector. I'd probably call my G1 injector my favorite, even though I frequently use others. Just behind that would be the single edged Gem 1912. Don't use DE razors so much right now, but there are a couple that get cycled in from time to time.