Questions for Gibbs Adjustable razor owners

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blashe, Apr 4, 2018.

1. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Got my Gibbs and after I disassembled it and cleaned it noticed these 2 things I would like to improve on it:

- The red ball on the adjustment knob is no longer there, anything from the local stores I can use to install on the empty gap. Its a miniature thing and no big deal but would be nice if I can find replacement of some sort.

- I cleaned up all the razor parts but I'm noticing rust on the spring, would like to know if I can find matching spring from the local stores.

Anyone that had done this sort of changes on the their Gibbs appreciate if you can pitch in, thanks

RyX and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Go to a crafting store and look at the beads. There should be a small one you can glue in there. As far as the spring, I would soak it in CLR to remove the rust. It may just be surface rust that can be removed.

blashe and RyX like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I used a red pin head.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

blashe likes this.
  4. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

bunch of the surface rust came off with the brush and dish detergent and then took out whatever I could with the cotton swab soaked in mineral oil... it sort of left the spring a bit lubed, but I might look at HD for a matching spring

Jorvaljr likes this.
  5. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

not sure what is that, are you speaking of the head of a needle? haven't seen those around

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

They come in red. And rounder. [​IMG]

AGHisBBS and blashe like this.
  7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

thanks dude, did you use super glue?

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Some epoxy I had handy.

AGHisBBS and blashe like this.
  9. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

cool I think I got some epoxy too

Jorvaljr likes this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I would use super glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blashe and jmudrick like this.
  11. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

the spring problem fixed by mix and match or hand sanding with sand paper and dremel, looks shiny now. Only left id the bobbin pin for tomorrow

12. Plexus

Plexus Well-Known Member

There is a good 10 pack springs on ebay .
    10 springs for 5 box

There are in 304 Stainless Steel, so I replace all my originals Gibbs n°15 & n°17 springs by them.

[​IMG]

Here you can compare an old original Gibbs n°17 spring, and a new Stainless Steel spring.
    (Under is an home made razor, to use standard blades with a Gibbs n°17 head)

elbee likes this.
  13. Plexus

Plexus Well-Known Member

You can steal the red ball from a Leica camera, or lens, from your grandfather.
    But for now, this type of equipment is worth more expensive than a Gibbs razor.

You can also steal a little red pearl, in the toys of your little sister.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]