Questions for Slim Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mr. Shaverman, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I just got the Slim from @americanshamrock 's Monty Hall PIF (Thanks again, that was awesome!) and having never used an adjustable, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you guys can help with.

1. I'm assuming the higher the setting the more aggressive it is.
    2. As a baseline to start with what would the setting be to a similar shave as a Gillette flair tip?

I will be trying this later today!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes, the higher the number, the more aggressive.

Here's what I recommend :
    1st shave set at 3, complete shave, evaluate
    2nd shave set at 4, complete shave, evaluate
    3rd shave set at 5, complete shave, evaluate
    Continue until you reach that setting that is just a tad too agressive, back it down one click and there is your sweet spot. Once you get comfortable with the razor at that setting you can play with different settings for different passes. Me, I keep it locked on 6 for all three passes and get a darn fine shave every time with the occasional BBS.

Have fun!

preidy, Herm2502, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Be sure to tighten that extra quarter turn after its closed, you should be able to feel it when it is all the way tightened.

4. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

And don't turn the adjustment dial while the doors are locked down. Always adjust when the doors are open.

I agree that a 3-4 should equal that flair tip.

I used to make my first pass at 6, then step down for each subsequent pass.

Congrats on the slim, and I hope it works well for you.

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Master Tips, gents!

6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think a Slim on 3 or 4 feels similar to a flare-tip super speed. My face hates lots of blade exposure so when I shave with any of the adjustables, it's usually with the setting around 3. I still get a good close shave in 3 passes that way.

Mr. Shaverman and Bobcat like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent advise given already. When I use my Slim, I prefer settings from 7-9. Keep us updated with your thoughts on Slim.

wristwatchb, Mr. Shaverman and Bobcat like this.
  8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Like Clint, I prefer the higher settings (8-9) on all my Slim. Id say my Slim has to be at least 5 to match the flair tip I own.
    I do think I have a mild Slim though compared to what others have said in other posts regarding settings.

wristwatchb, Mr. Shaverman and Bobcat like this.
  9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I agree with the test shaves moving up. Also critical to do the last 1/4 turn.

I keep my Slim on 6.

Enjoy!

wristwatchb and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  10. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

I'll just add that blade selection is another key variable in finding your sweet spot.

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I agree with the above.
    I like mine on 7, all passes. some change between passes.

wristwatchb and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was going to say that. All good advice here. Enjoy your Slim.

13. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I thought this was not true?

Mr. Shaverman and Jayaruh like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is no big deal to loosen the doors before changing the setting. I find the adjuster works easier with the doors open. Then lock it down.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

thanks @Jayaruh ...I heard both ways, but more so that it would damage it if the doors were closed....I agree that blade selection is key here...I use a astra at a 7, but if i use a feather it is a 3 (maybe a 5)

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1

clint64 likes this.
  17. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Just to tag on I get my best results from 3-4. With the doors open set the adjuster to 1 and try to shave. When I got My razor it would shave at 1 but from what I hear most will not. The blade just won't contact the hair at one. I tweaked mine a bit and got it to close down at one and 3-4 provides me with a DE-89/superspeed comfort shave. I think More open means more gap and but seemingly not more blade exposure and it's the blade that determines aggression. But YMMV.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry to disagree, but it is the razor that determines agressiveness. You proved it to yourself when you stated that the razor was milder at 1 than at 3 or 4, and can I assume you were using the same blade?

19. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Yes. But what I am saying is that aggression is based more precisely on blade exposure and not safety bar position or location. Say move the safety bar perpendicular to the axis of the cut modifies the feed but it's not the same as say a safety bar that is more narrow. But I admit I don't know everything and changing one factor changed the shave. Most of which is your hair and skin which is different than mine.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

blade exposure vs. blade gap
    I agree, it'd be nice to adjust both variables on an adjustable instead of just one.