Questions for the Ladies/Guys with DE Wives

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Truckman, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'm thinking of approaching my wife about the more traditional style of wetshaving; she technically already is a wetshaver with either bath soap (Safeguard) or canned goo (some pretty pink can) and the Venus cartridges. Right now I know she views shaving much like pulling off a band-aid - the quicker you do it the quicker you get it over with. But before I talk to her about it, I need some answers to some questions.

1. Right now she shaves in the shower - I'm thinking that's not feasible between building lather and trying to keep it on with the shower running. Do you shave in the shower, in the tub, at the sink?

2. Right now she shaves ATG only on the legs, but WTG only on the bikini line due to ingrown hairs. Do the same rules apply as far as WTG, XTG, ATG? I imagine there's really no XTG...at least on the legs...

3. I'm sure she's going to a bit apprehensive about using a DE for the first time. Reading some threads here it sounds as if some have done the first shave for their wives. Is this still the recommended way to go? ;) Although I may be more worried about cutting her than she would be of cutting herself...

4. Would a Fatboy be OK for her? Maybe on a setting of "1"? It's the only DE I have right now, my SS is on loan to a buddy of mine. Or should I just go ahead and pickup a Lady SS for her and then just sell it if it doesn't work out? Or would it be better to let her get used to the soap/cream & brush first to see if she takes to they whole idea?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    1. In the shower. No problem. That's how women do it. It's no different with a brush and quality soap/cream.

2. If she knows how she shaves each area, that's what she's gonna do anyway. No need to bog her down with details. Let her feel her own way. If she has questions, she'll ask.

3. Help her build a lather and apply, that's great, but let her get to know the razor herself. Of course, if she's game, go with the flow.

4. What kind of blades are we talking about? Something known as being forgiving is most likely the way to start her off. As for the razor, set it on 3.

3. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Thanks for the reply JoAnna. I was thinking the shower might be a bit much with trying to not accidentally fill the bowl with water or rinse the brush out and ruin the lather. Maybe I'll let her make that determination, too.

As for blades, I was thinking the Crystals - they seem to be popular in some of the threads in the Women's section here and they've been the smoothest I've tried so far. Plus they're what I have the most of right now... Maybe I'll order some Sharps - it seems you like those...

4. Queen of Blades

I don't use a bowl much anymore. She might like it more with or without a bowl. See what works for her. If you make it a couple thing, she'll most likely play along a bit longer than if you leave it to her.

When I did use a bowl, my tub had enough of a shelf to set the bowl on, but I know some showers don't. Oh, and a shower stall isn't as easy to shave in as a full tub/shower.

I like Crystals. But Sharps are my go to blade, and what saved this whole method of shaving for me. I was just about ready to give up before I got my first order of Sharps.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Thanks for the tips Queen. :D

6. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I need to open this thread up again to understand how a woman might make lather in the shower without a bowl. I have been talking with my wife about trying out a DE and have been unsuccessful convincing her so far. I think I want to try luring her with some good shaving cream or soap first. She is not keen on using a bowl and brush.

Joanna - if you are still out there - you don't use a bowl much anymore - what do you do??? What do you use??

Signed - puzzled :confused:

7. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Oh, she's out there...trust me. :D

Thanks, Rocketman, for bumping this up. Truckie, how did this turn out?

My experience with the wife and a DE didn't work at all. Within a month, she was giving it back to me and using a cartridge again. She did take a liking to the more traditional creams (not canned stuff), though doesn't use a brush.

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Not well at all. Just like other things, she just wants to get shaving over with as quickly as possible. :rolleyes: :happy102 She didn't want to take the time to learn the DE, not seeing any need since she's happy with the shaves she gets from the Venus.... no interest in the fancy creams or brushes, either....

9. Queen of Blades

Same as face lathering. Rub soap on area, dampen brush, lather. Or for cream, dampen brush, put cream on brush, lather. Add water by putting brush in the shower spray for a nanosecond.

10. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Ahhhh, OK. Seems to easy really!!

It seems like there hasn't been a lot of luck here convincing the 'girls', but I will give mine a try too.

Thnx

11. Queen of Blades

So simple a caveman could do it. :rofl

Good luck on convincing your SO to give it a try.

12. Hey, what's doin,

Could be a lot worse. At least she tolerates your own little shaving 'hobby', so thank God for that. Plus, she never tells her friends how nuts you are about such a goofy and totally uninteresting personal hygiene kinda thing. Oh, I should have added the words "To your knowledge" in that last sentence.........

See? the glass is still half full.

Martin

13. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

The title of the thread lead me astray, I guess I read it wrong.

Ladies with DE wives

Boy did I miss the boat. ;)

Good luck on the assimilation Matt, although she might start stealing your hardware/software.

14. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:happy097 Probably the quickest you have ever entered a thread here at TSD too! :happy102

15. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Yep, that's the easiest way to shave legs in the shower.