Quick flattening stone question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by minderasr, Feb 22, 2008.

1. minderasr

minderasr Member

Any need to pre-soak a water stone prior to flattening?

TIA

2. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Yes, I was told you soak the stone and if you're using a Norton Flattening Stone, for example, soak that too. I don't know why, its just what I've been told and I've not had any issues doing it this way.

Jordan

3. minderasr

minderasr Member

Thank you sir. Much appreciated.

:)

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Since you usually soak the stone before use, it's a good idea to soak both before flattening so that they will not retain any particles from the flattening process.

5. minderasr

minderasr Member

Do I need a nagura stone with the Chinese 12k stone, or am I ok without the nagura?

6. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath New Member

The 12k Chinese is not used with slurry, hence no need for a nagura stone.

7. Kenrup

Kenrup Member

When I use my Norton flattening stone I hold it and the stone I'm working under running water. I find this to be much quicker.

I generate a slurry on my 12K Chinese stone by using a small 1X3.5X1/2" very hard Arkansas stone. Nagura leaves larger grit then you want with a finishing stone. I'm generating a slurry from the Chinese stone. Nagura stone generates a slurry from itself not the hone.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Ah... Thanks Kenrup! I wondered about this. I recently bought a natural Japanese stone and a synthetic Nagura. When I made a slurry with the Nagura, the slurry came up yellow-ish (same colour as the Nagura) and the edge produced was not as fine as I had expected it to be, based on the stone.

So, I was probably honing in slurry made up of the Nagura grit? Makes sense, because when I just used water on the stone (no slurry from the Nagura) I got a very fine edge.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

James.

9. TULIP

TULIP New Member

Wish I'd have gone this route. My 4k side was done in less than five minutes. The 8k, on the other hand...

10. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I just got a NFS and both the 4k and 8k was done is really short time compared to using sandpaper.

I don't know if it's necessary but I wet the NFS figuring that if both stones were wet, they'd glide against each other more easily

11. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

You should wet both stones. You should even flatten them under running water if at all possible as I was told by Howard who sells many a fine stone.

12. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I'll certainly yield to Howard. Under running water it'll be.

13. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I have a DMT D8C. Talk about a flattening dream :)