Radiator tobacco pipes

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by whiskerlips, Mar 7, 2009.

1. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I quit smoking cigarettes more than three years ago. Good F'n riddance. I've never cared for cigars. But I love the smell of a pipe. I don't use mine often, but I do break it out on occasion. I first heard of radiator pipes on this forum. I'm very interested but not sure if it's worth buying one or pissing off the lady. Of course I'm always willing to test the limits. :D

I know there are quite a few pipe fans here, I'd like to hear what you think.
    Thanks!

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Never heard of a radiator pipe...you mean one with a metal shank like a Kirsten?

Nothing beats a good ol' briar. ;)

EW

3. Hiya,

Not meaning to derail this thread, but there's a soap you should try. That would be Colleen's version of 'Cavendish Black'. The stuff is a very good performer and the scent is a great example of an aromatic pipe tobacco. Samples are available from her site. Heh, to save on shipping, maybe order a couple different creations that she offers.

www.thegentlemensquarter.com

Now back to the regularly scheduled program,
    Martin

4. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Sometimes the stem is aluminum and has fins or chambers to help cool the smoke. Some radiator pipes are made from briar and have open chambers (holes) around the bowl to help with cooling.

5. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I've actually tried the TGQ cavendish black. I think there was something in those soaps that my face didn't like. A bit of uncomfortable burning. Autumn spice was very pleasant though.

6. I have a Kirsten and really like it. I use it more than my Briars and find it cleaner smoking. If you are in Seattle you can still buy directly from the Kirsten family.

7. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I saw several of those in a tobacco shop, the last time I was in Seattle. Very nice. They were highly recommended by the tobacconist as well.

Cheers,
    Tom

8. sturgeon

sturgeon Member

I don't know about a radiator pipe, but I think your first pipe should be a corncob. They smoke great and are inexpensive. You can learn the ropes without shelling out alot of dough. Then when you like it, go out and spend your money on a good briar.

Tim

9. I've heard that very advice recently. It sounds like corn cobs are good smokers.

I found a meerschaum for 20 bucks though, so I went with that for my first pipe. It looks like a toy, but it seems to smoke ok.