Random truths you've learned about shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gorgo2, Jul 17, 2021.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Can be anything that has been proved true in your experience. I'll start.

The Wilkinson Sticky is a fine shaver only if you leave the doors slightly loose.

PLANofMAN, brit and Terry like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

There are no magic razors.

A good shave can be pulled from just about anything as long as you spend the time to learn to use it.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

You don’t have to run out of something before buying more.

4. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Don't push-it ain't Saturday morning!

PLANofMAN, gorgo2, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

All you need is just one more.

6. brit

brit in a box

the blade shaves you,not the razor.technique trumps tools.

clk, wristwatchb, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

The safety bar on a safety razor really isn't necessary.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The wetshaving community is an oasis but, like everything else, is not immune to its own mythology, hype, and lying shills pushing agendas.

9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It is more important to get a comfortable shave than a close shave.

And especially this:

wristwatchb, Lancre, Terry and 3 others like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

pores don't open or close................

Zykris, Terry, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Basic truth A1A

Shaver X, Terry, Tedolph and 2 others like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It is possible to get consistent 1 pass amazing shaves.

:eatdrink047:

13. brit

brit in a box

:)..

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Someone's favorite [blade, razor, brush, soap, shave cream] is the worst thing you've ever used.

Think about that for a minute.

twhite, Shaver X, Zykris and 9 others like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

YES INDEED!

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I posted this on Facebook a while ago. Don't think I ever posted it on the forums though...

10 things I wish I'd known about wet shaving 15 years ago, and 1 thing I wished I'd known about people. Edit: and 1 more weird thing. Edit 2: thought of one more. Edit 3: one last one.

1. Thick 'barbasol' style shave lather is mostly for "pretty" SOTD pictures and videos. Thin and slick is far more effective, and won't clog your razor as easily.
    Edit: I was mostly talking about the thickness of lather on the face. It just needs to cover the stubble, not make you look like Santa Claus.

2. Not all brushes are created equal. I missed out on five years of using badger brushes because I assumed all badger brushes were floppy after trying one. (A deep set two-band badger is just as scrubby as a good boar brush).

3. Leave the cover off the soap for a day. It will help the soap dry out (especially if you rotate soaps) and it makes the bathroom smell nice.

4. If a razor is too "aggressive," when you are just starting out, don't immediately sell it. Chances are, you will grow into the razor as you develop technique. It might take a few years, but you won't regret it later.

5. Always keep one aftershave that you really like and your significant other doesn't. If you get mad at each other, you can wear it to show her you're still upset and keep hurtful words unspoken.

6. When you figure out what kind of brush you like, have a custom brush made. Yes, it can be expensive, but if you don't abuse it, it will last at least 20 years. The joy you get from owning and using that brush will far outweigh just about anything else you could have spent that money on.

7. Own or at least try a Gillette adjustable. Even if you don't like the razor, it will give you a good idea of the different levels of aggression of other razors, since most people, when talking about other razors, and especially other Gillette razors, can say "it shaves like an adjustable set at ...."

8. Try Feather blades early in your wet shaving journey. They aren't the 'cut your head off if you look at them wrong' blades they are made out to be, and like the Gillette adjustables do for other razors, make a pretty good baseline to compare other blades to.

9. There is no universal razor that everyone will like.

10. Ditto for blades.

10.5. There is no perfect blade that will work in every razor. (Astra SP comes close...) Experiment. Most people like sharp blades in mild razors and smooth blades in aggressive razors. Sharp and smooth is a sliding scale.

11. Be kind in your posts. If people have the capacity to hate people they have never met or know, the opposite is also true. You can love people you've never met. We all bleed red when we nick ourselves.

12. When you first get in the shower, you cup your hands against your chest like a bowl, fill them with water and then let it drop. I just want you to know, most guys do that. You're not alone.

13. It's called 'wet shaving' for a reason. Splash water on your face before applying lather, and do so for each pass. The layer of water helps cushion your skin from the blade and adds a bit of slickness.

14. In this day and age, when everyone is considered equal, it's important to remember that blades don't care about that. If your skin color is on the darker spectrum of the Crayola crayon box, your curly beard hair is prone to ingrown hairs. Don't chase the baby butt, use a mild razor and settle for good enough. A man shouldn't have to suffer scarring from ingrown hairs just to have a clean shaven face.

15. The nose is flexible, people. Don't be afraid to move it around if it's in the way.

Peace out! ✌

twhite, Terry, Shaver X and 8 others like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

PLANofMAN, brit, richgem and 2 others like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

when using your fingers to tighten your skin, do not tighten too much. just enough to flatten out the skin.

PLANofMAN, brit and gorgo2 like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good list but you totally lost me on number 12. I'm baffled, what the heck are you talking about??

PLANofMAN and brit like this.