Ranger Tech?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Razorhound, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Was there ever such a thing as a 1941 gold Gillette Ranger Tech? That would be a Milord would it not?

2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi, it's my understanding that some few 1940/41 Gillette Ranger Techs used both nickel and gold plated parts. Gillette had a long history of using up parts that were left over from one model run, on a different model run. Just as some early 1947 Super Speeds have Ranger Tech heads, some Ranger Techs have Milord heads, and vice versa. Some Aristocrats of 1946/47 also have Leftover Ranger Tech heads that were plated in gold for the Aristocrat line. Like the chicken man said- "Parts is Parts!!"

Primotenore, Jim99 and Razorhound like this.
  3. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

They made a Ranger Tech but I believe production was canceled due to WW2. I believe they were almost identical to the Super Speeds, with the difference mainly being that they didnt have end caps on the head.

Primotenore, Linuxguile and Jim99 like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't know if mine is pre or post war, but the gold is just about gone.
    1946 Milord08.JPG

Primotenore likes this.
  5. Morman Bridge

The pre war Ranger Techs did not have end caps, the post war Ranger Tech did have endcaps.

Primotenore likes this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

For some reason, I just had this image of a couple of Gillette's engineers sitting around a drafting board in 1944 and saying, "You know what we should do when this war is over and we can make Rangers again?" "What?" "We should put some little caps on the ends to hide the door mechanism."

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

There was a 1940 Milord Tech:
    [​IMG]

Enrico, Primotenore and CarlfromMO like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Mine has endcaps so that makes it a 46.
    1946 Milord16.JPG

Primotenore likes this.
  9. Morman Bridge

Hi Andrew, yes, I know.
    After the onset of WWII, all new production of civilian models was halted. They used up what parts and pieces that were left until even that process was halted for war production. After the war, the remaining pieces and parts were then used up in the inventory.

Primotenore and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Morman Bridge

As always as far as Gillette is concerned, the case of any razor set indicates the name of the razor set. So, if for example Jayuruh's razor came in a Ranger Tech case, it was a Ranger Tech. But if it would have been in a Milord case, it would have been sold as, and called a Milord.

Primotenore and Linuxguile like this.
  11. Linuxguile

I totally agree with you, Alan. My thinking is though, if its all gold, it was probably a Milord. But as you said, without the case, who knows.

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    So what era would this be from?
    s-l1600.jpg

Jorvaljr, Enrico, Boojum1 and 4 others like this.
  13. Linuxguile

Norcalnewb, PLANofMAN and Primotenore like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Yep, that's a '41. Another indicator is the patent information stamped in the band above the TTO knob. The later models had no stamping in the band.

gorgo2 and Primotenore like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Speaking of frankenrazors; I have a 46 Milord (has Pat Nos On Package on the top side of the head) that has both a creased lifter on one side and the newer single piece lifter on the other. I'm not sure if it was repaired this way or one of those recycled parts razors Gillette would put out. Both lifters are nickel plated on one side and gold plated on the other. I think it is a case of the plating is worn off because the butterfly doors are showing signs of the same on one side but not on the other. It would also be a good manufacturing decision to have the whole production line done in nickel first then gold wash / plate whatever pieces afterwards they wanted to sell as Milords so I am going with a Gillette factory produced frankenrazor as this ones pedigree.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Milord1.jpg Milord2.jpg Milord3.jpg Milord4.jpg Here are some pictures of the 46 Milord frankenrazor.

Jim99, Primotenore and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

This is good stuff!!!

And good Detective Work Guys!

Primotenore likes this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I already posted this picture, but this seems to be the appropriate thread. To join my Milord Tech, is this just-acquired Ranger Tech.
    (seller's pic)
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 09.46.57.png

Glamour shots forthcoming upon receipt.

Bird Lives, Jim99 and Frijolero like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Gillette often gold plated their razors. In the early years, (1905-1940ish) the gold was applied in a 24k gold wash directly over the brass base of the razor. The gold wash was protected by a layer of lacquer.

After the 1940's, the gold wash was applied over a nickel plating, then lacquered. The gold coating is much more durable on razors plated this way.

It's fairly easy to tell if a razor (sold as NOS) has been replated, as the clear lacquer has turned orange on the earlier razors. The later razors will have an iridescent rainbow appearance on the head, something not seen nowadays. I suspect that it has something to do with the later lacquer formula.

Enrico, Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  20. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member