Razor blade question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BIllyBowlegs, Jan 12, 2014.

1. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    I now have 5 shaves under my belt, but my last shave was not a great experience. I initially chose the gillette 7oclock as my first blade from my sample pack. It was relatively mild, and pretty forgiving given that my technique is still in a learning stage. My last shave with the 7oclock, I noticed that it was starting to tug more than cut, so I decided that I would go ahead and replace it for my next shave. Long story short I switched to an Astra superior Stainless. I kept in mind that this was a fresh razor, and I needed to go easy. Well that didn't seem to matter much. I had an army of weepers on my neck, and a few others here and there. Should I just consider this blade a healthy scratch, since it didn't seem to agree with my face at all? What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Best Regards

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's about technique. Keep shaving away. It'll all work out.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Set the Astra aside, work on your technique, then try the Astra again in a few months.

4. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind that blades in particular seem to be very YMMV. Some people love certain blades that others can't stand. Technique also plays a big role. You might come back to those blades after a year and find they aren't so bad. Stick them in a drawer and come back to them a few months later and see if you can get a good shave with them. I personally really like the Astra Superior Platinums. Haven't tried the Stainless ones, but I would guess they are similar.

5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

What razor are you using? Some have steeper learning curves than others. I struggled a bit (and can still) with the Mühle R89 (same as Edwin Jaggers model). Whereas a Gillette Tech is bulletproof no matter how you act, nearly.

6. BIllyBowlegs

Thanks for all the advice. I am definitely going to set it aside for now. I was thinking about trying the derby next? or maybe a gillette silver blue

I am running a 58 gillette SS. It is def on the mild side, but plenty sufficient for the growth I get. I also own, but haven't used a Shick Krona, and a Gillete ball end tech

zec668 likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yeah it's a pretty safe razor. I'd also say put the Astra aside for the moment being. You'll get there!

8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

............and of the two you mentioned last, I would go with the GSB over the Derby.

9. BIllyBowlegs

Thanks for the opinion. I will try the Gillette first. Where would you rate the 7Oclock compared to the GSB?

10. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

I'm a big fan of sticking with one razor, one brush, and one cream/soap while learning the ropes. Familiarity with your tools eliminates a lot of variables as you figure out what works and what doesn't. With that being said, I'd grab that Tech and run with it. For my money, the Tech razor is the finest razor ever made. I learned with a Ball End and currently own several vintage Gillettes. My razor of choice today? A Fat Handle Tech. Mild she may be, but I get super close shaves with NO irritation.

I wouldn't put too much worry into the blade you're using, nor would I form any opinions of them at the moment. Your technique stinks right now and it will affect blade performance. A lot of us used stuff early on, decided it was garbage because our technique and prep skills stunk, and then gone back to them and realized they were fine products, if used correctly. ;) For what it's worth, I'm a huge fan of the Gillette blades and I think they're a great choice to learn with. They're sharp, so they won't let you pick up bad habits, but they're also forgiving and comfortable as well.

Just be patient and remember, we all struggled at the beginning. :)

11. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

:signs046: You will like it here....lots of great info. I agree grab the Tech, a fresh blade and work on prep and techniques. After some time I would try the Astra SP's again....they have a great reputation and are widely used.

12. BIllyBowlegs

I definitely agree with you Dude. I am trying to stick to the 30 day rule. I was apprehensive to switch the blades but was concerned, the one 7oclock in the sample pack was getting dull and I needed to switch. I do want to try the tech but I want to wait a few more weeks. My technique is getting better, but I am far from proficient obviously. I won't pass judgement on any blades until I get consistent with my shaving. Just want to make sure I don't tear myself up with a blade that is too aggressive. Thank you for your feed back

Best Regards

13. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

The blades are the one thing I wouldn't worry about changing. If it starts to pull/tug, or you just don't care for it, toss it and load another. I think people put too much emphasis on blades; in my opinion, they're the least important factor. It's just a matter of finding the one that's comfortable on your face. Razor blades are 100% subjective.

14. BIllyBowlegs

Is there any type of database on razor blades? regarding aggressiveness or any measurable characteristics? I understand that one blade could be reviewed in a 1000 different ways. Is there any indication that some blades may be too aggressive or mild for someone?

15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

TECHNIQUE,TECHNIQUE,TECHNIQUE.
    No brand new blade should shread you.
    Maybe you are pressing to hard?
    The GSB is my favorite blade hands down, very sharp and smooth, so if you are cutting yourself maybe you should use the Derby while you are perfecting your technique.
    Derby blades are widely considered junk by most wet shavers but only because they are so mild, not poorly made.
    Experienced guys want somthing that willnshave hairs off a hair but if youre scratching your face up you may be better off using a quality mild blade. You will still get a good shave, Derbys are very forgiving.
    Everyone will tell you YMMV , and that is crazy true, however when it comes to 2 such extreme ends of the spectrum (GSB & Derby) everyone would probably agree they are 2 complete different animals, a lion and a lamb.

The above is of course,
    Just my opinion

joshkamradt likes this.