Razor Bump Scars

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Edwin Jagger Loyalist, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

Hello friends,

I have a question about razor bump scars. I'm a white male who's been DE shaving for about 3 years now and as I've experimented with a variety of razors, I've managed to develop a few dark spots on my cheeks and neck that seem to be from razor burn. I read a few articles on it and saw some remedies (aspirin paste, alpha hydroxy lotion, aloe vera gel) but I wanted to pitch the problem to the forum and see what your thoughts were. I kind of made it worse today with another attempt with a slant razor that left some irritation on my neck btw.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

We are guys Scars are cool
    i think this is @Billyfergie brother.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I used an electric razor for 30 years, and I lived with 'permanent' razor burn on my neck. I've been wet shaving for 4 years, and the redness is hardly noticeable now. I attribute it to working on my technique, stopping at 2 passes, and finishing every shave with witch hazel and unrefined shea butter. Most nights, I wash my face again and apply USB before bed. I will be following this thread to learn what others have done.

twhite likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

His brother? I thought that was him.

ninjack and twhite like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hmm...using a slant razor...this is what happens when you show disloyalty to Edwin Jagger. :p

Edwin Jagger Loyalist likes this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I cannot say that I have had this problem, but I feel that technique and quality products are the way to go.

You may want to start trying to isolate the problem. By that, I mean go with very basics to rule out any potential problems. I had to do this before when I started developing red splotches on my neck. It turned out that I developed a nickel allergy...out of nowhere!

I switched from hot to cold water, I went to distilled water, I switched to sensitive and hypo-allergenic soap, changed razors, changed out my face towel...used a different detergent... etc. I kept my shave to a minimum, and just ruled things out one by one.

My best guess would be that your technique needs to change. Are you riding the cap? Are you using a proper lather?

Go watch a couple more videos and go back to the basics. A 30 day focus would probably be a great idea for you (after properly identifying any possible issues of course).

7. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

@Straight razor dandy Thanks for the response. After doing some research on riding the cap, I think that's my issue. I use too steep of an angle and should have more of the cap touching my face when I'm doing passes. I'll try this out and see how it goes, then go from there. Thanks!

Bama Samurai and wristwatchb like this.
  8. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

@twhite Haha um....not quite that bad

twhite likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome aboard!

You may have solved most of the issue now. Try it and see if it heals up. If not... It could be an issue an MD should see, just to exclude non-shave issues that cause skin changes. Good luck and keep the angles low!

Edwin Jagger Loyalist and twhite like this.