Razor Emporium for re-plate?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mousecop, Sep 9, 2018.

1. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Hi everyone,

I want to get one of my fatboy's replated in rhodium and have read through several forums for recommendations. I am thinking of going to razor emporium or Chris at razorplate.com, who seems to have pretty great reviews but he is only taking razors by appointment only right now due to high volume. I also know that razor emporium has a bad reputation for their business practices from 5+ years ago but recent reviews make it seem like they have turned things around and people are generally satisfied with RE. Do any of you have any recent experiences with RE? Thanks for the help!

Best,

Mike

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If you're not in a hurry, I'd respectfully suggest Chris at Razorplate. He is fantastic. There's a reason he's backed up with work. ;)

Screwtape and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I can't comment on Razorplate, BUT I had zero issues with Matt at Razor Emporium. He did a marvelous job on my 1940 Milord Tech 24k re-plating. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again.

4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I bought one of their re-plated Old Type heads back in the Spring of this year. June I think. When I got it I immediately tried it out and it ripped my face apart. Thinking maybe it was me I tried it with different new blades with the same result. And I own about 5 Old Types so it wasn’t my imagination. In fact Old Types are my favorite razor. After closer inspection I noticed that two of the four corners of the top cap had those little bumps that occur after being dropped. So basically what they had done was to take an Old Type head and just re-plated it without inspecting it for damage. All they would have had to do was file down the two corner nubs and check to see how the top cap held the blade in place. That is sloppy business practice in my opinion. And it was only a couple months ago. You might want to dig through B&B’s forums again. Just search for Razor Emporium. When I told RE what I was experiencing with the head they initially said they didn’t see how that would have any impact on the shave. When I took pictures of the under side of the top cap he didn’t fight me and said send it back. He paid for return shipping as well. I had not seen the older poor reviews before buying that Old type head. But given those reviews and my own experience, I would send my razor to someone who has nothing but stellar reviews. And there are a few. Search The Shave Den, B&B and other forums for them as well.

mousecop likes this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I've used Razor Emporium in the past with good results. I've also used Sport Shaving, and it was much quicker with similar results. I would recommend at least checking them out.

mousecop likes this.
  6. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

I checked out sport shaving and they seem impressive as well. Do you happen to know if they disassemble the razor before re-plating?

Norcalnewb likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    Of course. That's a must.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  8. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Only reason I ask is because Chris at RazorPlate, does not. At least that's what I gathered from his website.

9. Primotenore

Article Team
    How can a re-plating coat the entire razor without disassembly? That's baffling. :signs002:

10. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Not sure haha, check out the website out! People swear by his work but I am pretty sure he does not disassemble, and if the razor you send in does get disassembled it's done by his partner who does "tune-ups." But I think you have to ask for that to be done before it gets re-plated, otherwise I do not think it is part of the re-plating service itself, if that makes sense :p.

11. fsfty

fsfty New Member

Chris re-plated my E4 Fatboy in bright nickel and it came out beautiful. Definitely worth the wait and the communication through the process was terrific. I can highly recommend that you go with Chris.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

As I understand it, you are right that Chris does not disassemble the adjustables. What happens is he concentrates on plating, and his partner, "Cap", does all the disassembly and reassembly, including any requested fixing of the mechanism. So the razor does get disassembled for the plating, he just doesn't do it himself.

13. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I
    I was under the impression that you have to send it to two different places in this process though. Captain Murphy first then he sends it on to Chris.