Razor ID Help Needed, A Japanese SR, or Is It???

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Timwcic, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I got this from my local honey hole thrift store today. Has no identification other than the kanji on the tang and scale. The kanji on the tang does look weird. It is a typical hollow grind with translucent scales. The scales do look to be pressed horn and has a lead wedge. Overall in good condition, has some issues but good solid bones

A western Japanese style or something from England made for the oriental export market?

CC82A0DC-5CC0-4A64-8017-0506785178FF.jpeg 9AF4B8EF-4D6B-43EF-AA06-1A0B99949D46.jpeg C99700A9-237D-4786-8BAF-3E57315DAD6A.jpeg 6760E121-474C-4E03-9760-59C223642FD6.jpeg ADACCF3F-F1C0-4AF4-8412-758CE9A242FC.jpeg F8D74B1D-C45B-4A14-B0F3-F81B15486E38.jpeg

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Looks restorable. Sorry, cannot help with translating.

Zykris likes this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Most I can translate from the picture is “Down Fast Device.” I tried.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Does no one else see a blatantly obvious Wade & Butcher blade? Or is it just me? Whatever is written on that blade, I would swear blind it started life in Sheffield, England.
    @gssixgun or anyone else that knows straights better than I.

gssixgun likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Maybe their version of "speedee shaver."

Zykris likes this.
  6. Timwcic

Thanks everyone for all the input. Another international mystery

I gut told me it was a Sheffield made razor made for international distribution. Especially think from there with the pressed horn. The grinding marks do have a German vibe to them. The blade does also seem to be more modern. Could me a marriage that was put together at a later time. I will put it on my restore pile and see what it can do

7. Timwcic

Thanks for the input. I strangely got a German feel for the blade. Especially with the grind marks and double shoulder. I could be way off base and it’s a W&B. Especially with the pressed horn scales. The few that I have with pressed scales, all came from Sheffield

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Most of these were Sheffield made as @PLANofMAN already mentioned

I have a funny feeling the translation of the Kanji on many of these will be almost as funny to read in the reverse as the translations from Chinese sellers on eBay and Amazon are to us today :p

The grind on the blade tells us post 1903 but we don't know if it was re-ground in the push to do them post 1908 I can only see the first pic so it is a little hard to say

Steve56 and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    F8D74B1D-C45B-4A14-B0F3-F81B15486E38.jpeg
    Maybe if I upload it you can see it?