razor ID help

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by TSimons, Dec 1, 2013.

1. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

I just inherited my Grandfather's straight razor, and 'd like to get some history on it if possible.

The tang is stamped IXL Geo. Wostenholm & Son Sheffield,Eng. and the blade is etched with CANUCK.

I don't expect this to be a "vintage" razor, but I'd love to get a rough idea as to when it might have been made.

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon and oscar11 like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

It's a quality razor and in great shape! I think it qualifies as vintage but I guess it depends on your definition. Not sure exactly when it might have been made.

3. Not Telling

Not Telling Member

Looks 1920s-ish to me.

Great razor, and one you'll treasure. Thanks for sharing.

4. TSimons

I never would have thought it to be that old.

5. TSimons

I'm not having a huge amount of luck finding any details on this razor... I was talking to my Dad an he thinks it might pre-date him, which would put it pre 1949 which is quite possible.

Initially I thought that the coffin was originally, but I'm not to sure after seeing some other Wostenholm's online, with Wolstenhom on the actual coffin. The markings on mine are worn and hard to read, but I think part of it is "19 Jermyn Street"... an interesting street in London not to far from TOBS... Are there any good resources for looking up straight razor coffin branding?

[​IMG]

6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice razor, it'll be a good shaver. By my definition, vintage for sure.

7. TSimons

I'm sure it will be a great shaver, I've heard nothing but good things about George Wotenholm razors. I've sent it out to get honed and cleaned.

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The way I read their history is only the "Washington Works" razors were made after 1922 so that might help...

9. TSimons

I knew they moved from the "Rockingham Works " to the "Washington Works", but I thought that was much earlier, in 1848. Or are you suggesting all razors made after 1922 have "Washington Works" stamped into them?

10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Not exactly :p
    I have learned over the years that trying to get absolutes with this SR hobby is pretty hard, so basically you just keep adding together clues and try and come as close as possible..
    One clue I can see in the pic is the double hollow grind, the tail is also a clue but I can't see that, also the Black Bakelite scales if that is what they are.. Unless you can actually find that razor in one of the old print advertisements with a date it is always just a best guess :)

11. TSimons

Well the razor is on it's way to you for honing and a clean up, so you'll get a close up soon enough!

gssixgun likes this.