Razor not sharp enough?

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by luke.9s, Jan 24, 2018.

1. luke.9s

luke.9s New Member

New Straight Razor Shaver!
    Hi i recently bought a Merkur Futur MK 23c and a pack of astra blades to go along. Since first shaving I noticed I didn't get the clean "cutting the hair at the base" that everybody praised safety razors for. I figured it was my technique and that I would get it right after some time. Now it has been about a month and I still feel like its not right.
    I don't grow a ton of hair between shaves but when I shave on my first and second passes (with the grain and across the grain) its like it passes over my hair without shaving very close at all. My face still feels very prickly every time untill i go against the grain everywhere on the third pass. It's like the third pass is the only one that really does anything.
    Are the blades not sharp enough? Perhaps the razor i bought is not right for me (it's not adjustable and only has one aggressiveness setting). Could anybody offer me some advice?
    THANKS!

9nein9, RyX, DaltonGang and 5 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

First, welcome to TSD!

I would tend to say that your technique still needs some time to develop. To be honest, it took me a month or two before I could consistently get a smooth shave, but it took me another several months before I could get it smooth without irritation. The second part was due to some stubborness on my part to not adjust my technique based on advice I had been given and read about on here. If you have time to stick around, I would join the 30 Day Rule thread here. You might also check out the Ride the Cap thread here, as there is some great advice.

This is a great community with lots of people willing to help out. I hope you enjoy it here.

9nein9, RyX, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Just a FYI: a Merkur Future is not a straight razor...
    Welcome from West Michigan!

9nein9 likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

I’m sure the DE gurus will be along shortly to assist. Likely it is your technique. Do you have Futur or 23C? Or both?

9nein9 likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

You have a great DE razor and choice of blades. Hopefully, you also use a shaving brush with either a shave soap or shaving cream. If not, you might consider investing in an Omega Boar brush (they come in all sizes...pick the one you like) and some Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream (just pick your favorite scent and go for it). Both items are relatively inexpensive, readily available on-line, and they perform great.

Ditto on @Norcalnewb 's advice regarding technique and joining the 30 Day Rule/Focus Crew. It took me several months to develop an acceptable DE technique on my own. I'm confident that my technique would have improved much more quickly with the help and support from the 30 Day Crew. Focus on using your set up for 30 days or so, and you'll be amazed at your progress. :happy088:

9nein9, RyX and Norcalnewb like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den. Gotta agree, technique...................

9nein9 likes this.
  7. luke.9s

luke.9s New Member

I have what was called on amazon a futur 23c. Also I do use a brush with old bond sandlewood and a badger brush that i love using. I will definitely take the advice on the 30 day program. Hopefully that will help me out. I thought possibly that since my skin isn't particularly sensitive to blades and this razor was not adjustable that perhaps i needed a more aggressive one, but perhaps it's not the case! Either way thanks for the replys!

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @luke.9s

I hope you enjoy it here.
    Patience and practice will get you continually improved shaves, just stick with it. While getting a blade sample pack is a great idea, so you can try as many different blades as possible and see how each one works for your beard and face. You must also remember that with "traditional" shaving its multiple passes that count, not a single pass. So while your first two passes don't feel like they are doing anything, they are each reducing your beard for that final smooth feeling 3rd pass. :)

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome. All great advice in the previous posts. Remember that a blade dragged across your face (i.e. steep angle) SOUNDS likes it's working, but it's really doing very little. The shallow angle mentioned above is what you want...riding the cap. You'll get it and then it really will amaze you.

Herm

10. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Welcome @luke.9s to TSD.

You have come to the right place. I agree with the others it's probably a technique problem right now. You have some of us confused about the razor you have. I suspect you have the Merkur 23c which is this one.... it's a 3-piece razor, long-handled and is a mild shaver. The next photo is the Merkur Futur, an adjustable razor which is quite heavy. It's a terrific razor, but if you're new to wet-shaving it might take awhile to figure out the weight, and the proper adjustment for your shaving needs. Which razor do you have?

Merkur 23c
    [​IMG]

Merkur Futur
    [​IMG]

9nein9, Herm2502, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome to DE(Double Edge) shaving, from Texas. If you really want to enter into "The Dark Side(Straght Razor Shaving), just peruse the Straight Razor Section. I'm sure we can eventually draw you in. :signs136:

JohnDB, 9nein9 and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @luke.9s! Glad you joint us here at TSD. Feel free to ask lots of questions, especially right here in your own personal thread. As you see plenty of friendly knowledgeable folks will show up to offer advice, opinions, even actual information!
    Two things already mentioned - look below in my signature to find clickable links to "Ride The Cap", and "The 30 Day Rule / Focus". Those two will help point you in the right direction to quickly improve your technique.

Being new to all this, and fresh here , you can visit and sign up for The Newbie Giveaway. It's a chance to win some internet spending money for shave supplies. Read the rules to be sure you qualify.

9nein9 likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @luke.9s glad you decided to join us at TSD.

9nein9 likes this.
  14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Belated Welcome!

15. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

This sounds like me when I first started. I tend to agree with those above who think it is technique. Keep practising and it will come.

wchnu likes this.
  16. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

There are actually lots of "techniques" to wet shaving. Like the technique of making lather. And the pre shave technique, and of course post shaving, and then actual shaving technique. After shaving for about two months my shaves got worse. I worked out that I was not making my lather wet enough. Same thing a couple of months later, but this time I had gotten better, and had "outgrown" my razor. I changed up my razor/blade combo and have not had another problem in years. Welcome to the club.

markjnewcomb and wchnu like this.
  17. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

BTW that post wasn't to say that those things will fix your problem (angle maybe, or several light passes). They are just meant to illustrate that shaving is a skill. Like riding a bike it is mysterious at first but one you learn it it can be done easily.

18. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Just read this. Wondering how you are doing with your shaves now? I started with a mild razor and after building technique got wonderful shaves with it. Practice makes perfect.

19. brit

brit in a box

great shaves now after a year and a bit, still learning ,welcome.