RAZOR of the YEAR

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Douglas Carey, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Looking for nominations for razor of the year. Your reason for your choice, the manufactor,drawings, what went into the design thing of that nature.
    Everyone is different and no one razor suits all.

Look forward to hearing from everyone. Maybe one of the Amigos could do one one, Brush of the Year.
    I guess someone could pick up soap of the year, buy I think I know the winner there.

Semper fi,

Doug...

2. brit

brit in a box

does it have to be new or is vintage allowed.?

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'm waiting on some information, but I'd like to put forward the Blackland Vector (SE). Pick whatever razor you like I'm staying with razor made this year.

Concept
    The Vector is a modern three-piece safety razor that uses single-edge Artist Club-style blades. It is designed, machined, and finished in the United States. We made the Vector in response to the bulky, heavy, and unbalanced Artist Club razors that have entered the market in the last few years. While Artist Club blades perform exceptionally well, the razor platform has left much to be desired. The long cutting edge of the blade aides in removing large swathes of hair in a single pass, but that size also makes it easy to make an overly hefty razor head.

To solve this problem we took the same approach that has worked so well in the Blackland Sabre. The threaded post has been modified to allow the Artist Club blade to slide over it, allowing the razor head to be as small as possible. How small? While other stainless steel Artist Club razors have heads that weigh close to 50g, the Vector head is a featherweight at just 17g. And the Vector head is less than half as wide from front to back as the others. Additionally, the Vector head is centered over the handle providing perfect balance rather than being front-heavy like the competition.

The result of all that is the most maneuverable and best performing Artist Club razor in existence.

Design
    Aggressiveness: 5
    Weight: 77g, Head: 17g
    Handle length: 92mm
    Material: 303 Stainless Steel
    Machining: Illinois
    Finishing: California and Ohio
    Packaging: Indiana and Ohio

Compatible Blades: Feather Professional, Feather ProGuard, Feather Pro Super, Kai Captain, Kai Captain Titan Mild, Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG, Kai Captain Sharpblade, Kamisori, Schick Proline

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    jtspartan, Keithmax, Str8on2 and 5 others like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I was looking for new in the thread, but if you want to start a vintage razor best of, go for it.

RyX and brit like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It is a tough choice, but I'm picking two..........
    Vintage: '48-50 Gillette Aristocrat
    Modern: Rockwell 6C Gunmetal

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

There may be a Vintage thread Jim. Start one if you like.
    What year was the Rockwell 6C Gunmetal first manufactured?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

ok, thank you..

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'll go with the Ascension SS. Gets the edge over the Game Changer 84 simply because it seems a more original design.

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

+1
    I have really enjoyed the shaves from my Vector.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Do you have any pictures and specifics?

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My top two.[​IMG]

12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm not sure, but I think the 6C came out maybe a year and a half ago, maybe a bit longer.

Linuxguile and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Besides the Vector, the Blackland Dart is the only other 2018 release that I have used. Great razor that has provided excellent shaves.

Concept

The Dart is a modern, double-edge safety razor designed, machined, and finished in the United States. We designed the Dart from scratch to be an efficient, smooth shaver at an approachable price point. The Dart has just the right amount of blade feel while still being comfortable enough to be a daily driver. Each of the Dart's three pieces is machined from solid 303 stainless steel to astoundingly tight tolerances, delivering exceptionally close and consistent shaves.

Design

Aggressiveness: 6/10
    Weight: 99.5g, Head: 29g, Handle: 70.5
    Handle length: 92mm
    Material: 303 Stainless Steel
    Machining: Illinois
    Finishing: California and Ohio
    Packaging: Indiana and Ohio
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding presentation Jim. Thanks so much.

Linuxguile, brit and jluc like this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Although I do not have one yet (shooting for Jan 19) I really think Stan's Copper Windsor is quite the looker. From everything I read it appears she can dance too...

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Would you like to post some pictures and specs. ?

17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I wasn't sure it was approperate since I have yet to own and didn't want to get accused of running an adversment (so to speak). However she's there in all her glory (to slobber over) on Stans site.

18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have a few new modern razors that debuted this year:

RazoRock Game Changer
    RazoRock Game Changer .84p
    Blackland Dart
    PAA SS DOC Ascension
    RazoRock Mamba .70 (expected delivery today)

19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I know in my heart that "beauty is only skin deep" and all that stuff. I also know that I'm guilty of being superficial. However. In my defense I readily admit that I have a serious weakness for Tellurium Copper 145.
    windsor (2).jpg

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great collection of new razors Andrew. Which one is your favorite?

brit, Linuxguile and jluc like this.