Razor Replates

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Feb 2, 2022.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Just wanted to give an example of different replated razors. On the left is a GEM Jr replate from one vendor, and the one on the right is from Back Roads Gold. There is a difference, and after somewhere in the neighborhood of half a dozen replates, I am still convinced Chris does some of the best work out there. I am sure you have seen his work in various replies to "The Haul" threads, but I thought this comparison photo was relevant in showcasing what constitutes quality work:

replatesIMG_1065.jpg

2. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Like painting a car or anything else, the finish is determined by the prep work.

PanChango, brit and Hembree like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I had Chris at Razorplate plate three or four razors and they all look amazing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

PanChango, brit and Hembree like this.
  4. jay_gatz

That's interesting, we have a Chris at Back Roads Gold, and a Chris at Razorplate!

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I had a couple done by him as well. They look great and have held up well for me.

6. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Chris at Razorplate is the best!

brit likes this.
  7. Rob72

Rob72 Member

I have a Big Fellow and a Barbasol en route to Backroads. He did a fantastic job on a '34 Aristocrat & a Bulldog for me.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. Been years since I had him do work but it was flawless.

9. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

Was the other vendor a lot cheaper?

10. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have 2 Gillette Super Speed Flaretips. One I found on ebay for $25. It's a 1954 that has been ultrasonic cleaned. The other I got from Razor Emporium for $60. It's a 1956 that has been revamped (replated in nickle)
    One on left is the replate. One on right is original cleaned. They really look pretty close until you look at the head of the re-plate
    DSCN3780.JPG DSCN3782.JPG

brit, Daywalker and MoAllen like this.
  11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I think this one needs a replate...hope he has another razor! LOL

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

the original /unplated one looks nice.some mother's or flitz polish would bring it right up..:)

Hogie likes this.
  13. jay_gatz

Sorry I missed this. Actually, the vendor was more expensive than backroads.

Joshua223 likes this.