Razor swap for blade life

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by urrlord, Nov 19, 2018.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I have noticed that when a blade seems to be getting a bit less efficient in it's use in my Atomic razor .Which is a darn good mild razor with wide ,deep jimps that I can switch the blade over to the Dollar Tree razor that has a more aggressive build with more blade exposure. and more numerous smaller,shallow jimps .I can get a number of shaves out of it before it finally passes the point of comfortable use.Usually I can get 50% more shaves out of a blade doing this.

Any one else do this?

2. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

Yes I've noticed that a blade might not be able to give all the shaves it has left in a razor where the dullness of the blade and the razor blade gap / exposure will no longer cut it . Switching over to aggressive razors with a different blade gap / exposure and attack angle will help pull out a few more shaves !

Essentially it's like how we would tweak up the settings in an adjustable razor !

Are you referring to the dollar tree TTO razor. I assumed it's a Chinese weishi razor which in itself is a very mild razor. Can you confirm ? Pics will help tell !!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

3. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Just from eyeballing it the Dollar Tree TTO razor has more exposure when seen from above.Also the blade rides higher above the safety bar in comparison to the Atomic razor(3 pc).I have noticed that when I use the DT TTO I have to adjust the angle of use in comparison to my other razors.So I am guessing there are some differences in the razors.The DT does seem to more aggressive.

4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

When it comes to what blade works in what razor I have come to the conclusion that it is not about aggressiveness but about angle. A blade will just cut more efficiently at a certain angle. Different razors allow different angles.

Screwtape likes this.
  5. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

The assurance dollar tree razor actually had a lot of blade exposure, i feel like when they copied it they used a red tip instead of a normal superspeed razor. I do notice when a blade gets dull in my tech i can toss it in my fattip and get a few more shaves from it. I rarely do it, usually at the first sign of tugging i toss.