Razorock hawk

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jaro, Sep 23, 2019.

1. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Hello all I hear many people talk about shimming a hawk but no info on how to do it. Soooo how do you shim a hawk?

Terry and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't own one, and haven't tried shimming on any of my razors. I gather it's a way to compensate for using thin modern blades in older razors that were designed for thicker older style blades. If you are up to experiment, the most often method of shimming for older razors is to trim the honed edge off a sacrificial blade. I think that shim or spacer is placed under the functional blade to emulate a thicker blades spacing. Then again I could be all wrong. The RazoRock is a modern razor so it's built to take current production blades.

3. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

I personally have never heard of shimming a Hawk, and cannot conceive that it is necessary. You can easily find a blade that suits your needs. Have you got a Hawk, if so what problems are you having.

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Shimming a razor is a technique where you use an old blade to increase the gap between the blade and the safety guard, thus making the razor more aggressive. It can be used on just about any safety razor (except perhaps an injector). The process is pretty simple you take a used blade and remove enough of the edge from the old blade so that it doesnt cross the shave plane of the new blade. Then you can install the old blade (shim) under the new blade and when you tighten down the razor you have essentially increased the blade gap by the thickness of the old blade.

jaro, RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not wanting to sidetrack...but a single (DE) shim under a DE blade doesn't do that much to increase aggression (less than two clicks on a Gillette Adjustable in gap, but it also reduces exposure by a small amount), but it does increase rigidity which may be felt in a head lacking in that regard.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to shim a Hawk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit, MPF9, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. jaro

yes i have a hawk no i have no problems with mine i just have read that shimming the hawk makes it even better and was just curious....

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. jaro

thanks i didnt know it they were putting the old blade under or on top before assembly of the hawk specifically, because i have used a "shim" or modded blade in my enders speed razor to use an injector blade in it..

8. jaro

from the multiple threads i have read on it using a shim in a hawk is supposed to make it even better.. i have no problems with my hawk i was just curious and was gonna see if it really made any difference or not........

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

If your not careful, you will damage it, it's aluminum.
    I've shimmed razors, if you ride the cap, like I do, can't tell any difference.
    That's a great razor, you might try some feather pro blades. I find the kai blades on the ho hum side of sharpness.
    If you haven't already.
    tp

dmshaver and jaro like this.
  10. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I'll second Terry's recommendation of trying Feather Pro blades.

Terry likes this.
  11. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I love my RazoRock Hawk V2 Hulk Green

[​IMG]

IAmTheJody and PanChango like this.