Razorock Mamba Vs. Game Changer

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DesertTime, Jun 21, 2018.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

To answer my own question, I ended up purchasing a GC. The GC is an exceptional razor and has moved up to my daily shaver, bumping out my Colonial General (at least for a while). It has the edge over the General in agility and maneuverability, yet the shave is just as smooth and efficient.
    Thanks to all who pointed me toward the Razorock razors, especially @Linuxguile.

brit, Linuxguile and blashe like this.
  2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great purchase. It is a fine razor indeed.

DesertTime likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i need to use my rr mamba more,the gillettes take up all my time,but thank you. many slammed the mamba after the gc came out.i like the mambas shave....

Linuxguile and DesertTime like this.
  4. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

I've been using and loving the Game Changer .84, frankly it gets the most action of all my sticks, when I read some of the comments on the new Mamba 70 decided I had to try it and see how the more aggressive variants compare. Has anyone already done this? My 70 is inbound and hope to have some commentary this week to contribute to this thread.

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

the mamba razor filled a void for me. i have one nicely built stainless steel razor in my stable. and there isn t a lot of them compared to gillettes etc..it didn t break the bank, and suits my mild shave needs.with my recent den clearing to just de only, the mamba has its place..dfs + shaves are good for me with bbs on the cheeks per say..my next modern is a karve..

stuartganis likes this.
  6. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Can't believe the amount of chat in this thread about how blade choice can completely change the ability of the razors mentioned.

It can't make that much difference. They don't.

Someone said people might "question the validity of our opinions". Most correct statement in the whole thread :p

brit and stuartganis like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i use sharper blades in my mild razors. i have used less sharper blades and got crap results ,beyond that who knows..

8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I've used almost every blade I've tried in my Aluminium Tech (as I have with most of my razors).

I can't honestly say I noticed much difference. I've never used a blade so bad i wouldn't use it again. I used to say GSBs were no good for me, but I went back to them recently and they're ok too.

Edit: just to add I've never used Derbys, Merkurs or Dorcos. Maybe there are bad blade brands.

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

didn t see your edit at first, was going to say derby blades in any razor just pull and tug for me..the others i use have little difference. second and third shaves with my blade choices are usually the best, after that some start to feel duller than others..the others in your edit i have never tried and can t be bothered to..gsb,nacet,gillette platinum,astra sp, astra ss,gillette yellows , polsilvers all feel similar in any of my razors..

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Dansco likes this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

No, me neither mate haha. And I never take one past 3 shaves, so I can't comment any further! ;)

brit likes this.
  11. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Do you know which Gap Mamba you have? .53 or .70

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i bought mine just after it was introduced ,so .53..i think,if the head only comes available i may get one..

Nicked likes this.
  13. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

I've tried a variety of DE blades, at least a quarter of what's readily available on the market. While I can get a good shave with many in the range of sticks I have, my most efficient/biggest gap heads tend to be the true test of a blade for feel, 1st pass WTG closeness, and any post shave irritation. The milder sticks in my den can tame the blades that don't work well for me (Feather/Kai). I've used Dorco Stainless and rank it mid-level and a good performer. Derby I've only tried the platinum and it is a near top performer. Found the merkur blade to be a good blade, but for the cost I encountered it at I feel better can be had. My two favorite blades are the Gillette Thai super thin platinums and the Treet Platinums. Best value performer the Suneko. The Rapira platnim and Personna are a great blades as both besting the Derby Platinum in my opinion, pun intended, but that's truly splitting hairs. Full disclosure all my evaluating is 1st shave with DE blades, I only go multiple with my SE/AC blades getting 2-5 shaves out of the blades that work best for me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Dansco, BamaT and brit like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’ve been considering one of these razors. My current favorite razor is a Slim adjustable set to 5 or a Black Beauty set to 5, using Astra SP, Gillette Platinum, or Personna blades. I had originally thought about the Mamba, but based on the comments I’ve read in this thread, I’m beginning to think the GC with the less aggressive head might be a better choice for me.

brit likes this.
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

In all razors the blade should be on your face. So if it's the blade that's not great, it shouldn't work great in any razor.

There might be the odd one with a negative blade exposure, where you would need to use pressure to improve the shave.

I would bin those razors. There's lots of great ones out there. I just don't get that it could be a better performer in a different handle

brit likes this.
  16. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

I am not an engineer and relatively new to this, so my perspective is that of a lay person, full disclosure.

When I say sticks I mean razors (heads).

I feel there's a lot of variables that come into play, but evaluating blades in the same head holds some of the variables constant: blade angle, amount of the blade that is supported, etc. From blade to blade, coatings, metal quality, stiffness, edge profile, edge finish etc. I'd like to think my technique and head angle are fairly consistent, or at least consistent enough not to blow a result multiple times. My thoughts on a blade not performing well in one head versus another, my experience has been my milder/less aggressive heads tend to lessen the impacts of blades that give me razor burn/nicks etc. My milder heads tend to have smaller blade gaps and good blade support which I suspect makes the razor more forgiving/harder to make mistakes with and lessens edge deflection/flex? There are shavers that swear by blades that I feel are harsh and some use the same gear, however, I've encountered others than have experiences similar to mine with said blades.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Dansco and brit like this.
  17. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

IGDFR
    As delivered M70 & GC84
    [​IMG]
    How I like them outfitted
    [​IMG]
    Plan to take the first spin with the M70 tomorrow...

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i like the new handles..

Nicked likes this.
  19. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Both the mamba and the GC have neutral / negative blade exposure so a wider blade like a Kai makes a bigger difference to these razors than with razors with a more positive blade exposure.

brit, Dansco and Linuxguile like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The GC actually has positive blade exposure. It isn't much, but it is on the positive side.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit likes this.