RazoRock Mamba

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I've voiced the exact opinion elsewhere (which probably helped get me booted) that if you _need_ to shim a razor, it's not a razor I'd want, or need. If you shim for fun - go for it. Otherwise, get a razor known for not needing shimming at all, and learn it well. Then go play.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Well this thread prompted me to do a side by side comparison of the AS D2 and Mamba last night. Two passes plus cleanup, and both with Feather blades with a few shaves already on them.

I learned two things very quickly. First and foremost, it was a DUMB idea. While I’ve had nothing but good/great shaves from both razors, trying to bounce back and forth between the two caused more operator error than I anticipated. I definitely needed aftershave when the smoke cleared.

The second thing I learned was the ASd2 shaves closer but less smoothly. Regrowth will appear sooner with the Mamba, but for a daily shave it still works great for me. The Feathers safety bar and general head feel seems forgiving of and almost encouraging a more perpendicular head orientation rather than riding the cap. Combined with the design of the bar it creates a less enjoyable shave for ME. All of the irritation created by this test came from the ASd2.

I still like both razors, and appreciate their quality. But for an everyday shave where skin irritation can start to multiply over time, I’ll take the Mamba. IF I could only own one razor then maybe the Feather would be a smarter pick. But I’ve got my Merkur 1904 for anything more than daily growth, so my hypothetical answer to an island scenario would be a Mamba and Merkur 1904 team.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Str8on2 and brit like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Mamba is wonderful.

4. jefffeith

jefffeith New Member

I really enjoy the Razorock Mamba. I use two shims and lock it down for a five day work week before replacing the blade. It’s become my daily driver because it’s mild and doesn’t nick - even with the shims. Adding shims allowed me to dial in the aggressiveness I like best. Weekends I use something else, usually something more aggressive just to switch things up and to use all the razors I’ve purchased over the years. Sometimes I wonder if the Mamba 70 head is same as the regular Mamba with two shims?

dvdhviid and brit like this.
  5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I'm impressed with RazorRock razors. I have the Mamba and the GC, as well as the Hawk. They're all excellent shavers and represent outstanding value for the shaver.

GatorJoe, Str8on2 and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

the mamba is a fine razor for me, i like it for what it is. i am a vintage gillette user most of the time and like mild razors. i tried the mamba recently with an ikon bulldog handle and got an excellent shave.great razor for the $.

Str8on2 and DesertTime like this.
  7. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

I own the OG Mamba .53 and found it to be a real nice and smooth shaver. A 3 pass razor that gave solid results day in and day out. Now, this coming from someone that thinks a 9/8ths wedge is a smooth operator. Nonetheless, I saw a Mamba .70 on the B/S/T for sale at a fair price so, I took a chance. Two shaves in and it has been a remarkably smooth shaver that is equal to the .53 but, it exhibits better cutting prowess and better face feel that is subtle yet noticeable, to me at least. I think that the .70 is a fantastic upgrade from the .53 in all facets. Truly a wonderful razor that delivers....

F80BE53A-7E46-45B0-AFA5-956DC4974E63.jpeg

8. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..

Str8on2 likes this.