Razorock mission razor need help...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by benlym, Oct 12, 2018.

1. benlym

benlym New Member

Today I did a shave with the razorock mission razor boy was it aggressive. I am asking the kind folks here how do I best use this razor on sensitive skin? Should I return it? I used a derby blade and cut myself bad. Maybe I used too much pressure. Any help will be appreciated.

I have a barber pole handle which I like alot is there a razorock head alone that I can buy on italianbarber.com that I can use with this handle??

Thanks,

Ben[​IMG]

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Mission I hate to tell you is the mild Razorock head, the Slab and Mentor being more aggressive. The SLOC is a head of a different type which most get along with but I rather think unless alignment is bad it's down to technique . That's a very heavy handle which definitely requires you be more careful with pressure.

Linuxguile and cliffb599 like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

This razor is fairly mild, so I would recommend watching your angle and pressure. Riding the cap will help a bunch.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Paul76 and wristwatchb like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    @benlym
    The answer is NOT to go out and purchase a different razor head/handle. What you need to be doing is discovering HOW to efficiently and SAFELY use this razor. The only way that is going to happen is through practice, Practice. PRACTICE. Jim @Norcalnewb gave you the best advice: Angle/Pressure.
    "Riding the Cap" means that you hold the razor with he handle pointing straight out away from your skin and then slowly lowering the handle until you JUST FEEL THE BLADE. Your goal is to KEEP this angle whilst pulling down all around your face. This is not always easy, because no one's face is flat as a piece of paper. Also, you should imagine that the razor is simply removing the lather, NOT the hair. That's how light of a touch you must use.
    Lastly, many shavers here participate in this thread: https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/october-2018-30-day-rule-focus-pix-discussion.60497/
    There you will receive plenty of needed and some not so needed (;)) feedback. Again, I strongly encourage you to not fall prey to the desire to find a different razor. That is not going to be the answer.

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

The Mission razor is in the mid range and with some better hand technique you will get some great results. I also have the Razorock SLOC and that is a great razor for learning and getting your hand technique perfected IMO & very forgiving. Just bought one(SLOC) for my son for a Christmas present who is showing some interest in DE traditional shaving.
    New razor aggression chart of most of my razors approxmate areas of concern..jpg

Paul76 likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with the razorock mission head and radio handle turned out the the head wasn't tightened down all the way on the handle. This has nothing to do with technique and everything to do with the blade chattering making it an aggressive face ripper. Make sure it is fully tight, when you think it is tight try to give it another 1/8 to 1/4 turn turning the head and handle opposite ways with light pressure, if it won't turn it is tight, if loosens then the thread is stripped, if it works then check it again after shaving a bit to see if it is backing off. If it is then the threads are not correct. In that case check with another head to see if it is the handle or not and use the mission head on a different handle to check the head.

For what it is worth when I had the problem when I took the head off I found metal shavings still in the handle which means they didn't clean either before cutting the threads or after which can cause issues like this. Once I cleaned it out, chased the threads I didn't have any further problems.

Paul76, Norcalnewb and jmudrick like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I would also echo Joseph's comments about buying other razors and join the 30 Day Rule thread. Buying more razors just delays the progression as you are adding more variables to the learning process.

The Mission razor you have is basically a clone of the Muhle R89 or Edwin Jagger DE89 razors, which often recommended as good first razors. They definitely aren't aggressive, but they offer efficient shaves. It just takes a bit of time and focus on technique.

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I would also add if you have a chattering blade no amount of technique will overcome that. You are operating outside of the functional limitations of how the blade works regardless of what razor you use to hold it in place. It needs to have a certain amount of stiffness regardless of how much or little exposure the blade has.

9. benlym

benlym New Member

I think that might be it "chattering" ill tighten it really well and try it.

10. benlym

benlym New Member

Ok did a shave again today determined to shave with the razorock mission razor your definitely right this is a mild razor i think I didnt account for the weight of the barberpole handle. Today I went with wtg for 1 pass and 2 xtg passes and one angled atg. I used short light strokes and wow what a difference no weepers was a almost perfect shave dfs other than the areas that had razorburn from prior terrible shave used a styptic pencil and it just had a slight tinge then put aftershave and going to sleep.

Thanks folks.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Ron R and jmudrick like this.