razorock shave gel

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by fatkid, Jan 2, 2012.

1. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the razorock shave gel as a preshave? I'm thinking about ordering some and want to know your thoughts. Hows it compare to proraso pre shave?

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have no experience with the gel... however any products from them i have used and really enjoyed. However why use a shave gel as a preshave... not a preshave as a preshave?

3. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

Its either a lather less shave gel or a pre shave. I was trying to decide between it or proraso pre shave. I love razorock products but if proraso is the better pre shave then that's the road I'll take :)

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I have and use both the Pre-Post Proraso (white jar) and the RR Pre-shave Gel.

For me, the Proraso feels great and lubricates the first pass just fine. The RR, however, lubricates on all passes. When I wet my face between passes, I can feel the slickness left behind by the RR, but not so much for the Proraso. I just reapply the Proraso before my 2nd pass if I need it.

Have you ever tried pure Glycerin as a pre-shave? It's ~$4 for a long-lasting bottle at just about any drug store, Walmart, CVS, etc. Wet your face, work 7-8 drops of glycerine into your skin with your hands then apply lather.

5. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

Cheaper then the RR or proraso that's for sure. Maybe I'll try that 1st. Thanks for the info!

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ummm....lubricates?
    That's not really the purpose of a preshave.
    That's the lather's job.
    :)

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong. It's your shave, and by all means enjoy it your way, but.......

A preshave's purpose is too soften the hairs before the shave.

Not sure about glycerin as a preshave. I could see it enhancing the lather, when used as you've described, Randy. But that would make it a lather enhancer rather than a preshave.

ummmm......sorry for the rambling. I really should be heading to bed now. :ashamed001:

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

You're right, JoAnna. When I first read about glycerine as a preshave, I was skeptical. I work at a hospital so I asked a couple of nurses and they said that glycerine is mostly used to soften the skin and is a treatment in certain dermatological disorders.

Maybe "Pre-Conditioner" would be a better term.

From Wiki:

8. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

I have used Razorock shave gel as a pre-shave, or pre-conditioner, or as a pre-shave oil substitute, or whatever we want to call it -- the stuff we slather on our whiskers before applying lather (I use GFT Skin Food the same way). Works great!

My question about this stuff -- why is Sugar an ingredient?

9. Gibbled

Gibbled Member

Improves the taste?

Attracts ants?

10. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

Makes you sweeter for da ladies ;)

11. Gibbled

Gibbled Member

Perhaps the sugar imparts effects similar to glycerin...

12. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Suggest trying Pacific pre shave oil.

13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I can't compare it to proraso, but it's great either on it's own or as a preshave. I use it on its own for travel and as a pre-shave (layered under lather) when SE shaving for some extra glide and protction.

Robyflexx and CyanideMetal like this.