RazoRock SS Lupo or Gamechanger?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sidpost, Jan 26, 2023.

?

Best sub-$100 stainless steel razor for me?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2023.
  1. RazoRock SS Lupo 58 Safety Bar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. RazoRock SS Lupo 72 Safety Bar

20.0%
  3. RazoRock SS Lupo 95 Safety Bar

20.0%
  4. RazoRock SS Lupo OPEN COMB 72

20.0%
  5. RazoRock SS Lupo OPEN COMB 95

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. RazoRock Game Changer 68

20.0%
  7. RazoRock Game Changer OPEN COMB 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. RazoRock Game Changer 68 JAWS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. something else

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I am a bit in the weeds with the RazoRock Lupo especially but, Gamechanger too, options.

I realize everyone's face and whiskers are different along with shave soaps and other stuff affecting the shave for each user. However, a lot of reviews and comments almost seem conflicting in addition to being just confusing.

In general, I see the Lupo being mentioned for shaving around the nose and ears better due to its smaller more nimble head size. The Lupo is mentioned as having more blade feel as well which I'm not sure is good or bad. Blade clamping is also mentioned as being better on the Lupo vs the Gamechanger. On the flip side, the Gamechanger sure has a lot of advocates and it has a general reputation for being mild.

Initially, I was thinking the Gamechanger SS would be a good alternative to my EJ89 shaves but, in retrospect, it seems a bit redundant to the EJ89/R89 series of razors. I want something less aggressive than a Muhle R41 for a daily driver so, this has me thinking about Lupo SS razors.

What would you recommend in a Lupo SS option? Or, was I on the right track with my original Gamechanger idea? What would be a little better than the EJ89 without being crazy aggressive or near the Muhle R41 to give me a one or two pass DFS or BBS shave (with some clean-up passes if needed)?

TIA,
    Sid

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Pick the one you like the looks if, then learn how to use it.
    I have near 50 razors in my rotation: DE, SE, TTO, Adjustable, Open Comb, Closed Comb, 3-Piece, mild to aggressive ... you get the idea. I found one blade that works in all my DEs (Astra SP) and one blade that works in all my SEs (Gem). I can get a DFS from each and every one with two passes. Sometimes so good others might call it BBS.
    Technique trumps tools.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    sidpost, Primotenore and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yep. The only razor I've found to be too mild is my super speed blue tip, and I can get good shaves with it too. It just takes 4 or 5 passes.

Edit: overly aggressive/efficient razors are tamed by pressure control, and that is entirely based on the user, which is you. Which is why I didn't bring it up at first. Correcting that mistake now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    sidpost, stuartganis and brit like this.
  4. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Yes! With my new to me R41, it definitely wants a light touch unless I have a forest on my face! Not a good choice if I'm in a hurry, distracted, or not fully awake!

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Assuming you stay within that list figure out if you want an open comb or safety guard on the razor then you can figure out the blade gap. With that said open comb razors tend to be more aggressive and efficient than a guarded version with the same blade gap. In the case of razorock blade gaps aka 68, 72, 95 refer to aggressiveness of the shave lower number less aggressive. With that said if you want something that covers most the bases try the Razorock Lupo DC razor. The open comb side has a .72mm blade gap and guarded side has a .95mm blade gap.

6. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

I tend to think a Safety Bar is better for mild to medium razors generally. My R41 has its place in the line up though!

The dual SB/OC razors don't make much sense to me but, they obviously work for some people. I don't recall ever using one and thinking having the other style would be a good idea.

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depends how you shave. If you are a use different settings on an adjustable depending the pass type of shaver then this razor would achieve the same principle of more aggressive on the first pass, milder on the subsequent passes.

To answer your own question since you want to lean towards a safety bar then the Lupo 75 with a safety bar probably is the best bet if you want something that sits between an EJ 89 and Muhle R41

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    sidpost likes this.
  8. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

The RazoRock SS Lupo 72 Safety Bar is where I'm leaning right now but, I read a few threads saying the 58 was a really good DFS option. The Open Comb options generally get the really aggressive comments which would duplicate my R41.