Razorock Titanium Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ninjack, May 26, 2017.

1. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I was just at Razorock's website looking at razors and noticed they have an all titanium razor listed for $99. It is said to be cnc built head and handle. Looks very nice! Unfortunately they are out of stock. I haven't heard anything about these razors and was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to try one.
    razorock titanium-1.JPG

Jorvaljr and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

From what I heard they should be same as the aluminum version which is on the mild side but all say its very efficient. I got lucky enough and snatched the SS DLC Hawk, really wanted one without the coating but considering they sold out in 10 minutes I cant be picky. Will be my first artisan blades razor.

Jorvaljr and ninjack like this.
  3. ninjack

That's great! I went there to look at their single edge razors, thinking about getting one to try, when I saw the titanium de. I remember reading in some threads about people wanting a titanium razor at a good price, and when I saw the Razorock I thought I would start a thread about it.

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

looks nice

5. ninjack

Yeah, it does. I believe it is called the Baby Smooth de model in all titanium. Apparently they made a Baby Smooth de model in aluminum also at one point. I would love to get my hands on one of the titanium ones though.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'd hope that it's coated. Like Aluminum, it's light, and a 'sticky' metal. The coating (like anodizing) reduces surface bonding. (oxidation and similar).

ninjack likes this.
  7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

yes but isn't the coating suppose to wear off in a year or so? will leave the razor look funky like that... I have SS sand blasted razors and have no problem with gliding, its why I wish the SS Hawk I snatched was SS raw and free of coating, but like I said considering they sold out in less than 10 min I cant be picky about the coating.

ninjack likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Titanium and aluminum 'coatings' are generally anodization or similar. (Parkerizing is also similar) That means that they're actually bonding the surface molecules to alter the color. Titanium can even be given multiple colours if you use electricity right :) So they don't 'wear off' other than the metal wearing down.

Stainless steel doesn't lend itself to the same type of finishes. I suspect it's a function of the chromium.

9. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Just pulled the trigger in thus razorock baby smooth in aluminum. Hope its great. Incoming.

ninjack likes this.
  10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

oh yes that I know, I understand that DLC is not just a coating of some sort of durable paint but instead changing the molecular structure of the metal via anodizing. So it practically becomes part of the metal itself, now big question is how deep in the metal surface does the anodizing process penetrates, if the penetration is depth of only parts of millimeters than eventually over time with shaving that layers will wear off and the anodizing will be gone. If the anodizing could penetrate good 1/16" then that would last a very long time, but I doubt that's the case.