Re-knotting my Bethlehem Olive Wood Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by MoAllen, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

A few months ago, I bought one of those Bethlehem olive wood brush handles from eBay. The handle was beautiful, but I didn't think the finish would hold up, it was just a thin coat of varnish. So I sanded it down to bare wood and then applied several hand rubbed coats of Tru Oil linseed oil finish. Fine sanding and running with a polish have me a great durable satiny finish.

As for the knot, I decided on a 24mm TGN finest F2. My experience with badger brushes has not been great, and I have come to favor synthetics or boar. I didn't have a badger at the time, so I decided to give it another try. The result looked great!

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I just didn't like the knot. Badger brushes have always made my face feel itchy, and this one did, too. I didn't enjoy using it.

After putting so much effort into the handle, I wanted a knot that I would really like. My favorite synthetic is the Beauty Strokes H.I.S. brush. I have three of them, one in the original handle and two that were re-handled by The brush maker Oscar11. I decided to get one of the smaller 24mm H.I.S. brushes, extract the knot, and put it into the olive wood handle.

I didn't think to take a photo of the donor brush, but it is just a slightly smaller version of the big 28mm H.I.S. brush.

To get the knot out, first I protected it by binding it up tightly with string, then wrapped it in several layers of blue painters tape.

I locked the handle securely in a vise.

I ground down the hard black plastic with a Dremel tool and various cutting and grinding bits.

Once I got down to the metal ring around the base of the knot, I cut the knot free from the base of the handle with a hack saw.

A little touch up with the grinder gave me a nice clean knot.

[​IMG]

Now, I had to remove the badger knot. I read about using stream to soften the epoxy glue, but I feared that would damage the wood handle. So, I played it safe and extracted it the hard way. I cut the hair down with scissors, then used the Dremel to getting it out. What a mess! It was almost as messy as extracting the knot from the H.I.S. brush!

[​IMG]

Once the handle was clean, I gave the interior two new costs of the Tru Oil to seal it before gluing in the H.I.S. knot.

I am very pleased with how it turned out. I love how the knot performs and how it feels on my face.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tattoobob, fram773, BigMark and 8 others like this.
  2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The finished brush is just beautiful! Have you ever tried a TGN synthetic, they are my favorite by far.

Bristle Me and MoAllen like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Beautiful job. I love the grain in that handle.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

very nice
    May I ask what you used for epoxy

MoAllen likes this.
  5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Looks very very nice. I have this one home too. I have an idea for what my knot will be, but that will be a secret till everything is spoken and safe. ;)

Tattoobob, Bristle Me and MoAllen like this.
  6. MoAllen

Yes, I used the TGN synthetic knot in another project. I like the HIS better personally.

7. MoAllen

I used the Elmer's epoxy in the dual syringe package. It's the only one I've tried.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Been thinking about that handle and maybe putting my Plisson synthetic in it....

MoAllen likes this.
  9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Looks great!! I used Tru-Oil on mine too.

[​IMG]

Tattoobob, ObiDon, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  10. MoAllen

The Plisson synthetic is great--I use mine regularly. I haven't measured it, but it seems a fair bit smaller than the 25mm bore of the olive wood handle, so you might want to double check.

11. MoAllen

Your beautiful brush is what inspired me to give it a try!

Bobcat likes this.
  12. MoAllen

Thanks!

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Outstanding!

MoAllen likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good work. Of all the Gen 4 fibers I still think the H.I.S. is the best overall of the bunch and that is saying something given the competition.

BTW: The H.I.S. no longer comes with the big 28 mm knot. Beauty Strokes / FM Brush moved down to a 26 mm as their largest current offering, more than likely as a cost saving measure.

MoAllen likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Very nice! You guys are really weakening my resolve to NOT add any more brushes….:D

MoAllen and GDCarrington like this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Resolve??? Yeah ... Resolve. ;)

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A lot of work but it sure looks good

18. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous brush.

19. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

This is a good example of why I prefer to use silicone adhesive instead of epoxy, it's much easier to remove the knot without destroying it in order to transplant or replace it.

Stubbl E and Tattoobob like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

silicone adhesive holds the knot in ok?