Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Jun 11, 2018.
Shoulda thrown in a unicorn.
FWIW, a picture of the razor that came with it can be found at The Haul: May 2018.
On this one, I just started with pressing the razor into place to shape it, and put glue after it was done. The same with the blade bank and just added glue a section at a time. The corners can be a pain, so I start with the middle section of each side and glue them into place, slightly stretching the fabric. When dried I stretch it some and judge about where to cut the fabric from both sides to have them just touch each other and glue the corner parts. Using white glue will soften up the fabric and it helps to form it some.
Really cool post! Perfect timing as I am looking at restoring a few Milord cases, 2 Red & Black cases and a 41 Ranger case.
Does a. Lightly applied magic eraser work on the outside parts of the Milord /red and black type cases? The worst part is the lining in the top of the cases. There was someone in England who got dies made to restore those, but is no longer active due to health. Can't find the link.
Looks great! I have several cases that need help!
You inspired me to try to clean up some of my cases. I used the regular magic eraser on 2 red and black cases. Followed by a damp lint free cloth. I then used a dry part of the cloth to dry/buff the surfaces. I will follow up with some Novus 1 in a little while. I will re-velvet the inner trays at a later date. Have not tried the Milord cases yet. The "GILLETTE MILORD" print is barely visible on two. The third is still somewhat there. Anyway....I'm laid up for awhile due to an illness and figured I would work on these to pass the time for a few days.
Did a second round of magic eraser and drying/buffing. I can't believe the filth coming off these!
I was browsing auctions a little while ago and came across a shot of what the original interior (albeit very worn) would have looked like:
Those cases are gorgeous! Nice find!
The difference in yours is it's more of a purple color. Maybe they used different ones depending on the year, just a guess. But I guess my "poetic license" worked out pretty good.................
I agree. It looks like the velour in that other one probably faded a heck of a lot more. You "poetic licence" does seem to be pretty good.
Looks good Jim. Looks a lot better than I would of done.
Credit where it is due.You have done a great job,well done.
That turned out great...functional and looks super! Nice save and nice work.
Separate names with a comma.