Reaction to artisan bath soap ??

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by LuvWetShavin, Feb 15, 2016.

1. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I have several artisan shave soaps and have never had any problems with skin reactions but my wife ordered some artisan bath bars online and this evening i used it to wash my face .. as i was rinsing my face i could feel a burning sensation on my forehead .. within a few minutes my forehead was beat red and tingling .. been several hours and still feels/looks the same
    Below is a pic of soap ingredients, which ingredient would most likely cause this skin reaction?

20160215_230806.jpg

2. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I know lanolin and castor oil can give allergic reactions. I've had a reaction to lanolin myself, when touching newly sheared wool - The itch was so intense that it made me want to cut my hands off :sick013:
    If you can get your hands on some antihistamines, and they take away the redness and tingling, we'll know it isn't a chemical burn thing

3. emassad

emassad Member

I would say the Lanolin and maybe Sodium Lactate.

4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

There are so many great professional producers to choose from , Castelbel of Portugal is my favourite bath soap :) ...

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I don't see anything listed about fragrance. Was it an unscented? Looks like a pretty benign artisan formula to me.

Edit: Except for the lanolin, maybe. Question: do you use Stirling soap by any chance? Between his bath and shave soaps, it pretty much eliminates the list you posted.

6. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Some people can't deal with lanolin

7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Possible Hydroxide

8. PickledNorthern

I don't mean to be a wise nut, but if there isn't hydroxide in it, it pretty much isn't soap. If you were eliminating odd man out ingredients to find your culprit, hydroxide (basically sodium or potassium?) isn't going to be one of them.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I have to disagree. If some of the hydroxide was left unreacted he could very easily end up with a tingling sensation burning sensation or even an alkaloid burn.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Queen of Blades and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

Point granted. Considering it was from an (at least by us), unknown unnamed soaper, that is certainly a possibility, and you make a thoughtful point.

If we are going to keep throwing wet paper towels at the wall of ingredients and see which one sticks, I'm still not picking hydroxide over fragrance.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    This^^^^

Carbide Mike and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I just wrote a review for Stirling Barbershop bath soap. My first artisan, soap. . I felt a major burn the first time I used it, but I also followed a shave with the Barbershop A.S. Hard for me to figure out which one had the burn. But I've been using less of each of late, and I don't get the burn as much now. If I may paraphrase Dick Vitale.....":LESS IS MORE, BAYYYBEEEE!"

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Carbide Mike likes this.