Ready to grow a mustache

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by baldy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. baldy

baldy New Member

I just turned 16 not to long ago, and I got my first facial hair recently. As all of my friends have gotees and mustaches, its making me want one too. My dad says drinking beer will put hair on my chest, is there anything I can drink to get hair on my face?:(

Thanks,
    Baldy

2. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I think it will grow regardless of what you drink. I'm teetotal and have no problem.
    Goatees and mustaches are not in fashion where I live, or at least nobody has told me. Where are you from?

Well done though for joining this forum where you can learn from the start the proper way of shaving. Enjoy your journey.

3. baldy

baldy New Member

I am from Maryland, thanks for your help anyone else have any ideas?

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Have patience.

5. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Get yourself over to the newbie threads mate. it wont make your hair grow faster....but, you can enter yourself into a draw that could provide you a swaithe of goodies that will help remove it...:D

Welcome aboard man! you are in a good spot :happy088

6. Austin

Austin Member

Sorry bud but your genetics will determine when and how much facial hair you will have.

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Welcome! I couldn't grow a "Magnum" mustache until I was about 25. Now it's almost a pain to keep it trimmed. It will come with time.

8. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Hello there Baldy! How about heading over to the newbies section and introduce yourself? You'll get a warm welcome from some of the guys and gals that visit this fine forum.

Like the other gents have said, there is nothing you can drink to help grow the facial hair, only time will do that.

9. flipflopsnowman

flipflopsnowman New Member

When I was 16, I wanted facial hair
    When I was 20, I had facial hair
    I am 25, and love removing facial hair

If I tried to grow a mustache, I would look like Larry Bird. Secondary sex characteristics (hair growth patterns, baldness, etc) come from your dad, so if you dad is a furry man, you will be as well. If he's not, embrace it: you can't change genetics. A lot of girls don't like facial hair, so while the guys may not like you as much, the girls will :D

10. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Yeah,thats basically it.Welcome to TSD and hope you can learn things that I didnt when I was your age.:D

11. blazkowicz

blazkowicz New Member

16 may be a bit too young to grow a moustache.

12. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Yes - drink deeply from the Well of Time!

Honestly, there's nothing you can do but wait until it starts to grow in, and as a general thing I would think that in a few more years things may look up for you.

And when they do, you can use this useful piece of advice my father gave to me when I first wanted to grow a moustache and goatee - "Let it grow, then shave away all the bits that do not look like a beard!" :D (profound man, my father...)

James.

13. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Hey Baldy, welcome to TSD. Time will take care of it, not drink. The nice thing about lip hair is that once it starts to grow in you can keep it or get rid of it any number of times. :D

14. Soap Guy

Soap Guy New Member

Time and genetics will win out every time. :happy102

I wore a mustache for probably 20 years. I shaved it off one day and haven't grown it back. I've started to grow it back several times, even had a beard for about a month once. Its just so much easier to shave every day versus the hassle of keeping a beard or mustache trimmed.

Plus you will stand out from your friends as that clean cut guy who's so different from every one else if they all have facial hair. Sometimes it nice not to be part of the herd.

Welcome to TSD. Make sure you introduce yourself on the newbie forum. Hit the newbie contest for sure.

15. flipflopsnowman

flipflopsnowman New Member

One more thing, and this is from seeing some 16 year old kids with mustaches yesterday on the El:

Until you can grow a Magnum PI mustache, go without.

Exhibit A:
    [​IMG]

Exhibit B:
    [​IMG]

And the counter arugment, Exhibit C:
    [​IMG]

16. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

If you can grow a good moustache at 16 knock yourself out. Me? From 16 until probably 22 or so my moustache was cheesy at best. A six month growth would probably pass for dirt under my nose. If this is you, don't be discouraged. Some years later my moustache and beard exploded, I now make Magnum look like Ricky Ricardo and most of the time sport a handlebar.

17. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I've sported virtually every facial hair style since the age of 16 or 17, but never a mustache.

It's all contingent on how many hair follicles you have on your face/the area in question.

I'd love to try a mustache but I don't have the will to go thru the awkward period.

I know most ppl here love shaving, as I do to a degree, but if I could, I'd opt to have all my facial hair vanish.

18. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

those right there

not much else you can do, other than

[​IMG]

oh, and Howdy from Texas, and Welcome to the Den!

19. Compa

Compa Member

LOL Snowman... (any of those pictures is yours?)

To the OP:
    they all said it... genetics.
    Anyways (and to be honest) if you grow a mustache, it will be too small/spread/thin IMO so instead of having a Exhibit A or Exhibit B mustache, go for a clean face, it feels better to say "nah I rather shave my facial hair"

Now that I think about it... there is the urband legend in my country that if you shave periodically, your beard and mustache grows a bit faster and thicker (obviously not ad infinitum or I would have hairs as thick as my legs)

The most important thing to remember is: Don't rush :) have patience, good things take time

20. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

yeah, that myth runs around these parts, too...the retort is, if that were true, many men would be shaving their heads to get the hair to grow back :D