Recent DE Purchase

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by barbersurgeon, Aug 11, 2015.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

A little over a month ago I treated myself to my first DE Safety razor. I picked up a Parker 99R off Amazon, since I had to order a few other things at the time. I've been using Astra blades, and working on my techniques.

The Parker seems pretty mild, I don't get much in the way of rash or nicks. Astra blades seem OK, and I get three shaves out of them and change out. Have picked a few tips up off this site, so figured I'd register.

Other interests include Bird dogs and 16ga shotguns.

2. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Welcome aboard! You won't find a nicer, or more knowledgeable bunch of guys and gals anywhere.

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hello and welcome to the Shave Den. :)

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like you are off Tia good start. You found a nice razor and some good blades that are serving you well. No need for a more aggressive razor or extra products to compensate if you can get great shaves from soap and water.

Spaniels, setters or pointers? I am guessing with that gauge you have gun dogs.

6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hello and welcome =) in glad you decided to join the fun =D

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A warm welcome to you from North Texas. You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on shaving hardware and software or CLICK HERE!

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD. Looks like you are off to a great start finding a razor and blades that work for you.

9. barbersurgeon

So far I've resisted getting too far into the accoutrements of brush, soap, stands etc... But well I did sign up for a forum about such particulars!

Have been using regular soap or shaving cream (barbasol). I did buy some tea tree oil and spike a bottle of witch hazel for post shave splash. That's as about as far as I've ventured.

Previously was mostly dry shaving around the beard with disposable twin blades. (Gasp!) Shaved the beard for the duration, and decided it was time to change things up. Didn't want to keep dealing with disposables (not satisfied with them) or the electric razor I also have.

Anyway, I've never 'enjoyed' shaving up'til the last month or so. I've actually have found myself shaving when I come home from work sometimes. I have never had the desire to do such things, other than a special occasion dinner or such, prior to meeting my new Parker. Really like the weight and feel.

I have an old dog, Duncan. He's younger in the avatar. His beard is much greyer than it used to be, but mine has a touch of grey too... He doesn't hunt, but I have friends who's dog's are happy to let me shoot birds for them, luckily.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    Papa Roy and wristwatchb like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Nice to meet you.

11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

welcome to TSD!!:eatdrink047:

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "barbersurgeon"

I hope you enjoy it here any questions you have just ask.:)

13. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Welcome to The Shave Den

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE

15. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Welcome to TSD! You have found a wonderful place to learn and share!

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome to the Den! You're off to a good start.

19. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!!

20. barbersurgeon

Thanks everyone...

I have been looking at getting some essential oils and trying to spice up my witch hazel some more. Looking around the various vendors, there seems to be a few good options for off the shelf A/S that are getting good reviews that aren't $30+/100ml as well.

The shop here at TSD looks like honest goods at honest prices. I'm going to have to order some of that menthol kicker soon...

wristwatchb likes this.