recommend a boar brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TitanTTB, Jun 30, 2010.

1. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I'm looking for opinions on a boar brush. I'm on a bit of a budget so boar seem to be the way to go. There seems to be a few to choose from at bullgoose.

Vie-Long 12326 Boar Bristle $15
    Omega 10066 Boar Brush $12
    Vulfix VS/5 Boar Bristle $10.5

I only saw the Vulfix in the reviews section. I'm wondering what you guys think is the best of these... or is there another in this price range I should consider?

2. geogaga

geogaga Member

Omega

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You can't go wrong with Omega boar brushes. Good performance and great price.

I have the Vulfix VS/5 (I posted a review). The knot eventually fell out of this brush. I glued it back in and it's been a good brush again ever since. I personally prefer it's performance over Omega, but I believe I'm in the minority on that. The bristles aren't packed very tight so it's not as stiff, dries faster, and for me makes lather faster.

I personally haven't tried any Vie-Long brushes.

4. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Gotta go Omega! I'd recommend the 10029 model, it's quite versatile. Ebay seller "ntguys" offer this model and a wide selection of other Omega models at great prices. I think he's also a member here too...

5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

My three favorite brushes just happen to all be Omega Boars, and not because of the price, but just because they are great...My current fav, is very small but makes very big lather...It's a veritable work-horse and just feels wonderful on my face, and has only shedded 1 hair since I got it months ago...Thats the Omega 10029 Baby-Pro Boar. If I could only have one, it would definitly be the 10029 for its versitility and I can just drop it in a Large prescription bottle with holes in the top for travel...

6. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

The only one of those brushes that I have direct experience of is the Omega 10066. It is an outstanding brush. The only failing I have noticed is a tendency for the knot to pop out of the handle. Since it is easily reglued this is a minor drawback.

Best Regards

goshawk

7. Empty Words

Empty Words New Member

I recommend the Omega 10066. I've tried about 4 boar brushes and so far, it is my favorite.

8. TitanTTB

Great - omega's the clear winner. Thanks everyone!

One more question about the boar brushes. I've seen banded boar (has a black stripe) and non-banded boar.
    Whats the diffrence between these.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

The differences are merely cosmetic. Another vote for Omega, look up their website and appreciate .:D

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just in case you were having second thoughts, OMEGA.

11. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

Omega. Someone might have mentioned that one, though. :happy102

12. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Omega professional is the way to go! That black band is just dye, sketching I believe is the correct term for it.

13. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I had the vulfix VS/5. Mine shed a lot. The knot wasn't that stiff, compared to the boar I have now. I bought a C&E badger and gave it away.

I wouldn't buy another VS/5.

15. SiR-ed8

SiR-ed8 New Member

Might want to check out Gary's shop at Shoeboxshaveshop. He has the largest selection of brushes compared to any vendor and aggressively priced to boot.

I don't have experience with any of those but Omega's my choice. I'd go with Omega followed by either Vie-Long or Vulfix. You'll eventually find out what works for you.

16. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

+1 on shoebox awesome selection,prices and quick to ship your order.

17. newb

newb Resident Newb

OMEGA

Has anyone suggested an omega ? :D

18. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

My Omega 10029
    Isn't the final stage but you can take an idea how will look like.

[​IMG]

Turk and TitanTTB like this.
  19. TitanTTB

Nice brush Doryferon.
    Well I never did get an Omega but did eventually try a Semogue 610. Never liked it as much as a badger. I really need to revisit boar brushes one of these days.

Doryferon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Omega 10066 is a super brush at an incredible price.

Doryferon likes this.