Reconditioned espresso machine - good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by soulshine, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Padron

Padron Active Member

Yea, it was way out of my / our league too....but was before their $600+ price increase and it
    was discounted a couple hundred bones.....made it real hard to pass up....:o

It's a great rig and makes some tasty shots :)

[​IMG]

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm crying just looking at that. I bet those shots make mine look like they came out of a $20 machine from target. I'm assuming it also makes some mean microfoam.

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

It works pretty good, I think fresh roasted beans make the biggest difference in getting a good shot with lots of crema....I like your Saeco too :)

Oh, this place has some good deals too :cool:

Wow, I just noticed the HUGE price increases on espresso machines....the Silvia is now $699 :eek: 2 years ago it was $450.....I wonder if that was due to the euro being soo strong against the dollar.....if so prices may fall again now that the euro isn't as strong.....

Look at some of the old prices at Coffeegeek in the reviews compared to todays prices......That is crazy.......

4. JayKay

Wow, that place has some great prices. But yeah, the prices have gone through the roof on the espresso machines. I think the culture has picked up in the few years and thats fueling it on top of the euro killing the dollar for a long time. I think the Saeco pulls a pretty decent shot for a $300 machine and a non-comercial group head. Unfortunately, it wont be making microfoam anytime soon.

5. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

I picked one up a week ago!

PB120873.JPG

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Looks purdy!

7. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

I'm still getting the hang of it but I figure I am saving huge $ by making my own coffee here at home. My daughter uses it more than me! My morning iced coffee with the last of my roses for the year as well.

PB120874.JPG

PB120876.JPG

8. JayKay

Nice choice! I see you too my advice :D Better pick up some stainless steel cleaner.

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Great score S~S!!

They really do pay for themselves quickly when you figure a couple drinks or more per day at the local coffeeshop...:)

Congrats!! :cool:

10. JayKay

How are the buttons working out? Mine has switches and lights that I'm rather fond of. And iced coffee? Do you pour the shots into a glass of iced water? I never understood people doing that. Or do you mean iced late? A glass full of ice and milk and a couple shots makes a delicious morning drink and gets your metabolism going.

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

Haha,

I had a buddy I used to work with that LOVED iced coffee.....he would get like a 20oz with 3 shots and pretty much drink them one after the other....

He spent like $20 a day or more at starbucks....hehehe

12. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Our neighbors 18 year old daughter has one in her hand at all times. She wonders why she never has any money :confused: --and why she gained 25 pounds this summer. Then she found out that the drinks were 800 calories each with 25 g of fat :shocked003

13. JayKay

Exactly! If there are specific starbucks drinks your daughter likes there are a lot of recipes for them online (and low cal/fat versions). And you have to figure starbucks makes crap coffee, turn your $5 a day habit into an espresso machine, get some good beans, and your set.

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I have one of these. A $100 manual All-Clad made by Presso in the UK. I picked it up on a whim at TJ Maxx a while back for $8.

I'm pretty sure I've never had espresso before, so I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like and don't know if mine is any good. It tastes ok to me, but it's just strong coffee - and only a thimble full at that!. Is it supposed to have sediment floating around in it? :confused:

I assume I'm missing something. One of these days, I'll go to a coffee shop and see. :whacky011

Attached Files:

15. JayKay

I hear theres some tricks to getting the most out of that. But they are probably more trouble than theyre worth. I would suggest going to a good cafe for a shot, not starbucks.

16. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

The buttons work out just fine! I turn on the machine before I shave and by the time I am done, the unit is warmed up nicely. They are lit so I know when they are ready to be used. I am still learning the pressurized portafilter. I have learned that a light tamp yields a better result, too much ground coffee and the outcome is a bit lighter in flavor, too little and the grounds in the portafilter are a bit gooey. I make my iced coffee with 2 double shots of espresso, some hazelnut syrup and just a bit of skim milk so I guess that would be a latte.

17. JayKay

Now that you have the saeco aroma I thought I'd give you a few tips that I've come up with over the years to make a better shot. First off you know to clear the steam wand of all water before steaming milk. Before pulling a shot, due to it not having a 3 way valve you should first clear the steam wand of water and than turn on the pump until (no portafilter) you see just water coming out of the group head and no steam. At this point attach the filled and tamped portafilter and let the shot rip.

The measuring scoop that the machine comes with is equal to one shot each. Generally a shot=1oz. A double, with 2 scoops, equals 2oz. If your pumping 2 2oz shots out your probably winding up with a more watered down mixture. Usually 2 1oz shots is more than sufficient and is the same as ordering a double.

Due to the portafilter being pressurized it has the tendency to want to squirt grinds all over the place. And due to the boiler having a huge heater it recovers quickly and pressurizes almost immediately once you've pulled a shot. First remove your shot glasses from under the portafilter and set aside. Than open the steam wand to release steam, which will depressurize the portafilter and save you the mess.

I think the shots come out better if you leave the portafilter attached while heating the machine up. A hot extraction makes for more crema. The regular steam wand without the easy-froth tip is to short to be very useful. The tip works best with the machine and it works best when at almost the very bottom of the steaming pitcher.

Hope these help.

18. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

Thanks!!! I printed this out for my daughter and wife as well.

19. JayKay

Where did you pick up your tamp and what size is the correct size? I believe they usually come in 53 and 58mm, but theyre damn expensive and I dont want to pick up the wrong side. And I'd also prefer one with a handle in case I ever get a non pressurized portafilter and do need to tamp harder that I currenly am. Right now I use a round toothpick container that is somehow the perfect size of the basket.

20. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

I picked up one at bed, Bath & Beyond for a whopping $4. The package had no dimensions listed but each side was sized differently. It is about a 95% correct fit...I just move it around to make sure I have all the grounds tamped down.